507th Parachute Infantry Regiment

SARGE

Gentlemen,

I spent several hours yesterday with a retired Army Colonel who jumped on D-day with the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment. He is now 90 years old and sharp as a tack. I picked him up at his home and took him to the monthly meeting of our local Kansas City Military Collectors Club where he spoke to all of us about the then brand new US Airborne concept in general. He talked about his D-day jump as a Captain where he lost all but one of his stick and had to cut himself out of his harness with his boot knife when he landed in the water and promptly sank with all his gear. He also mentioned that he could not swim a lick. His "longest day" consisted of collecting as many stray men as he could to form a scratch command and assaulting and holding two bridges. Adapt and overcome at its best.

The best personal story that he told me during the car trip was of an enlisted man, from another company, that he had the MPs arrest for being drunk and disorderly at a dance and who threatened to kill him. He decided not to prefer formal charges against him and let the man's own Captain discipline him. He ran into that same fellow several days after D day when he gave him a haircut in the field. He said he was never so nervous as when that particular Army barber was shaving his neck with a straight razor.

These stories are priceless...

The 507th dropped into Normandy on D day and fought at La Fiere, Chef-Du-Pont and Graignes. The regiment also fought in the Battle of the Bulge and participated in the largest airborne assault of the war, Operation Varsity.

Here are a few items from the 507th veterans' association outlining their exploits and history. First, a booklet that was compiled by the Colonel that has a complete timeline of their activities from June 6, 1944 until they took up occupation duties with the acceptance of the surrender of all enemy forces in Essen and Duisburg on April 10, 1945. This was used at the dedication of their monument in France. Second, a DVD of the history of the regiment to include the return of these veterans to Normandy in 2002 to dedicate their monument that honors their fallen brothers. These veterans raised several hundred thousand dollars for the construction of this monument. Third, a challenge coin that shows this monument on the face of the coin. More about the coin later.

507_PIR.JPG

Face of the 507th PIR challenge coin showing their monument in Normandy with the moniker of, "Citizen Soldiers."

507_PIR_coin_back.JPG

Reverse of the coin showing their logo patch and battle honors.

507_PIR_coin.JPG

That's a great story and it wonderful that you got to hear them straight from the source. I was in a 4th of July parade last weeke and met about a dozen WWII veterans who all shared many of their stories with us, it was a great treat! ~ Tim

In 1990, the 507th vets held their convention concurrently with the Airborne 50th Anniversary in Washington DC. As part of the festivities, the vets' registration packets included as a "party favor" an orange "cricket" clicker, similar to those they had carried for Normandy. I recall that at their HQ hotel the spurts of cricket-clicking, the vets signalling to each other, indoors and outdoors. An elevator door would open and a crescendo of cricket-clicking would drown all other noise in the lobby. At every opportunity, they clicked away. GEN Westmoreland dropped by one of their events and was mystified by "all that racket" -- he had no idea of its historical connection.

In 1990, the 507th vets held their convention concurrently with the Airborne 50th Anniversary in Washington DC. As part of the festivities, the vets' registration packets included as a "party favor" an orange "cricket" clicker, similar to those they had carried for Normandy. I recall that at their HQ hotel the spurts of cricket-clicking, the vets signalling to each other, indoors and outdoors. An elevator door would open and a crescendo of cricket-clicking would drown all other noise in the lobby. At every opportunity, they clicked away. GEN Westmoreland dropped by one of their events and was mystified by "all that racket" -- he had no idea of its historical connection.

Yep, one of our KCMCC members had just returned from a tour in Normandy and brought a brand new "clicker" that he bought at a muesum gift shop. Actually, two clickers showed up in the show-n-tell at the meeting where collectors bring something related to the speaker's topic from their collection. The other one was an original that Alan Henderson brought that came from another paratrooper from Topeka who jumped on D-day. Well, at least the paratrooper veterans knew the significance of these clickers, even if they were beyond the experience of General Westmoreland.

• 4 years later...

I just found this post, and glad to see it. My best friend's father served in the 507th, S/Sgt John H. (Jack) Summer. Like many WWII vets he got and out went to school on the GI Bill. He graduated Georgia Tech as an architect. He designed that memorial in Normandy. He passed a way in 2009. Active duty members of the 507th were part of his Honor Guard. I think 507th is a schools unit at Ft. Benning now.

Mike

• 10 months later...

I was a neighbor of the parents of 2LT Edward B. Zielke (KIA June 10, 1944) in the '60s and '70s. I have a large manila envelope of photos, documents, and letters regarding their son, whom they called "Billy." The letters indicate they did not know what happened to Billy as late as September 1945. I need to get these items to the Zielke family, but I have no clue how to do it. The obvious methods like telephone directories or free internet searches haven't helped. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

post-3655-0-02372900-1375739228.jpg

• 5 months later...

Awesome!!! The 507th is now (and has been for a while) the U.S. Army Airborne School at FT. Benning. I was in the 325th AIR, 82nd ABN DIV, annually we would host "All American Week" at FT. Bragg, kind of a "alumni weekend" of sorts. The best part was meeting the old timers, such an honor. Thanks for sharing, Airborne, All the Way, Lets Go!!!

-RICH

Thanks Rich. I did not know that the 507th had morphed into the Airborne School. I love to hear these first person veteran stories myself. I thought it was really neat that one of his most detailed stories was the one about the encounter with the barber who threatened to kill him.

• 6 months later...

I was a neighbor of the parents of 2LT Edward B. Zielke (KIA June 10, 1944) in the '60s and '70s. I have a large manila envelope of photos, documents, and letters regarding their son, whom they called "Billy." The letters indicate they did not know what happened to Billy as late as September 1945. I need to get these items to the Zielke family, but I have no clue how to do it. The obvious methods like telephone directories or free internet searches haven't helped. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Hello - I cannot believe I found this! My mother (Louise Garriock) was his cousin here in Chicago! My mom was 10 years old when they had a going away party for "Billy" when he got deployed overseas. His parents moved to Georgia shortly after he was KIA. My mother who is now 80 years old has been looking for information on him. Let me know how to get this envelope from you...I can pay postage, give you a UPS acct number, anything!! My email is [email protected]. THANK YOU!!

Best Regards,

Rich

Government Issue

P.M. sent.

And this right here is why I joined the forums. A story 40 years in the making is coming to a close, and the only items left of a loved one are returning to the family. I am honest to God crying right know. How wonderful.

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

Hello - I cannot believe I found this! My mother (Louise Garriock) was his cousin here in Chicago! My mom was 10 years old when they had a going away party for "Billy" when he got deployed overseas. His parents moved to Georgia shortly after he was KIA. My mother who is now 80 years old has been looking for information on him. Let me know how to get this envelope from you...I can pay postage, give you a UPS acct number, anything!! My email is [email protected]. THANK YOU!!

Best Regards,

Rich

I exchanged e-mails and telephone calls with Rich and his mother. I was able to verify that they are indeed living relatives of 2LT Edward B. Zielke, 507th PIR. I shipped the items and they received them on August 16, 2014. The story they tell of Zielke's death and MIA status is absolutely heart-wrenching. It involves a lot of anguish and suffering by the family and I will leave it to Rich to reveal the details as he sees fit.

Thank God for the internet and the US Militaria Forum! After 42 years, the photos and documents I found are back where they belong.

Drive on!

post-3655-0-14266300-1409348020.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hey everyone, just came across this again and I apologize for not updating...We got the manila envelope from Tom and there were pictures of my mom with 2nd Lt. Edward Billy Zielke in front of her house!! You can only imagine what emotions my mother went through looking at these pictures and letters. She recognizes some of the letters that were from Attica, NY...Billy's mom always wanted to move there. Tom put me in touch with a wonderful lady (Sandra) that has helped me file an IDPF file with the Army. Sandra also has forwarded me more information about what plane he jumped out of. (Tail Number 42-92424 Chalk #21 Serial 26, #1 drop order) It is truly amazing what the power of the internet has done for my 80 year old mother. From not knowing what happened to Billy, now we know so much! According to Sandra who helped me file the IDPF file, we will find out a lot more...I submitted the email last September and I got a follow up email saying it could take up to 48 weeks to receive. Also, from what Sandra has told me that Billy was injured in the battlefield on June 6 and passed away on June 10, 1944 in some sort of hospital. The IDPF file will tell us more and who made the decision to have him buried in Normandy...my mom can't wait!!!!!

Thanks to all who responded and for the US Militaria Forum!!!

All My Best,

Rich

• 6 months later...