5th Air Force Four Pocket with DSC

I recently acquired this this uniform jacket and I'm unsure of it. I don't have a name, only a laundry number: G6661. I tried researching by that and got 47 possible names. Is there a way to search online the recipients of the DSC? Also I don't think the ribbon bar is original to the jacket. The 5th AF was in the Pacific but this has a European Campaign Ribbon with one campaign star. Could anyone help me here?

post-131982-0-69295900-1419951367.jpg

Always looking for WW1 28th Division; anything, papers, field gear, uniforms, etc.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Never seen a DCF on a air corps uniform

Two ideas i have

1. maybe he was in the army first then transferred to the air corps

2. ribbon bar is not original to jacket. I would think if he got a DCF he would of got a BS too. Also I thought the 5th aaf was in the pacific

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Matt's Military

milimportexport2@gmail.com

Definitely. I think it is a website called "Home of Heroes" or something like that.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Totally missed that ETO ribbon. MAAAAAAJOR red flag there... 5th AF was ALL Pacific, unless he was 8th first, then did a tour there, kind of like Paul Tibbets. He has the Hershey Bars on his sleeve for that to be possible, but I wouldn't say it is very likely. Who knows, you may be in luck!

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

The European Campaign Ribbon is what made me question this jacket immediately. The 5th AF was in the Philippines in 1941 then moved to Australia, never to Europe. This guy does have three years worth of overseas stripes, so he could have possibly moved from the European theater to the Pacific but then why doesn't he have a Asia Pacific Campaign Ribbon? I have 47 names to sort through to see if any of them received the DSC.

Always looking for WW1 28th Division; anything, papers, field gear, uniforms, etc.

There is the slight possibility that the PTO ribbon is just missing. Like I said, slight chance, but suppose his ribbons were slightly out of order and he is without the bottom three. A bar with a PTO, American campaign, and American Defense wouldn't be too out of line under that, but if he got a DSC in the USAAF, you'd expect to see an Air Medal and a DFC as well. Guys that were on the ground typically stayed put for the duration, too. Regardless, it won't cost a dime to do the homework, and for what it would do for its historical and monetary value, your odds are at least better than a lottery ticket!

1. USAAF personnel can and did receive DSC's.

2. I would bet that this ribbon bar has no legitimate business on this uniform. For the ETO and lack of PTO ribbon, but mostly-- look at the discoloration on the DSC ribbon and the brightness on the other two. Not to mention, DSC, followed by a GCM? The lack of even an Air medal is questionable. The EAME ribbon is also backwards, not a huge red flag, but when added to the others....

I think you have a nice plain 5th AAF jacket with an added ribbon bar. Scrolling through all of the DSC recipients would probably be a waste of time.

Ebay Sales: wwii.uniform.collector

Auctioneer Website: http://www.cnymilitaria.com

Facebook Sales Group

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

1. USAAF personnel can and did receive DSC's.

2. I would bet that this ribbon bar has no legitimate business on this uniform. For the ETO and lack of PTO ribbon, but mostly-- look at the discoloration on the DSC ribbon and the brightness on the other two. Not to mention, DSC, followed by a GCM? The lack of even an Air medal is questionable. The EAME ribbon is also backwards, not a huge red flag, but when added to the others....

I think you have a nice plain 5th AAF jacket with an added ribbon bar. Scrolling through all of the DSC recipients would probably be a waste of time.

To late I already did scan through the whole list. The closest I got was a Green, Robert L., U.S. Army - North Russia Intervention. Going by the laundry number I found a Green, Robert L Jr. Did the son grab his dad's award?

I didn't think the awards were original to the jacket in the first place.

Is the coat the earlier, fully lined pattern? does it have belt hooks (or at least holes for them)?.

I agree with CNY, the ribbon bar is an addition to an otherwise legit coat.

Matt.

Collecting WWII and pre-war Air Corps items-Unit Histories,Uniforms,Medals and Groupings.

*Seeking Pre-WWII Air Corps Officers and Enlisted Dress Uniform items!*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Is the coat the earlier, fully lined pattern? does it have belt hooks (or at least holes for them)?.

I agree with CNY, the ribbon bar is an addition to an otherwise legit coat.

Matt.

It does have a full liner and brass belt hooks. I found the quartermaster's tag and it is dated July 23, 1938. It is a very nice prewar four pocket. I removed the bar and it looks like it was on there for a very long time, but no way it is legitimate.

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of running the number through the enlistment records database. Of the 47 matches I would suggest discounting those who enlisted after mid summer 42, but also consider that post war enlistments could be the guy if he extended or entered the reserves.

Interesting that he has bars for three years overseas, but no service stripe, and no ruptured duck.

Matt.

Collecting WWII and pre-war Air Corps items-Unit Histories,Uniforms,Medals and Groupings.

*Seeking Pre-WWII Air Corps Officers and Enlisted Dress Uniform items!*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif