Arkansas

Stopped at an old time surplus shop in downtown Fort Smith Arkansas yesterday. Lots of really choice WWII stuff..... All nailed to the walls wasting away. Even reasonable offers were scoffed at. Nothing for sale was collectable other than a few cut edge patches. Just an Fyi post.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair to the shop, most surplus stores try to honor the long-past 'golden age' of post WWII surplus by decorating with neat and interesting things. Although I am not familiar with the shop in question, I have been to several which had made 'decorative' use of old militaria; none of it was for sale. It's just a way of bringing some atmosphere back, a little eye candy of the past.

It would be like getting upset that Cracker Barrel restaurants don't sell their antique decorations; if they did there would be nothing but the food. Just my observations.

Now if you are looking for older (WWI & WWII), collector type militaria I don't know of any shops in the Ft Smith area. North of the border (a few hours) is Springfield Missouri which has a few surplus stores and 'Doughboy Militaria'. The one time I was passing through and tried to find Doughboy I had little luck navigating, but that was over 10 years ago! Little Rock may have some shops, but again, I'm not aware of any by name.

RC

• 2 weeks later...
gunbunnyB/3/75FA

hey RC. doughboy used to be be on boonville street.but as i havent had a chance to get up there lately, so it may have passed away as well.

• 1 year later...

Doughboy is still on Boonville St. and still open. I was friends with the late Jim Joplin who owned it when it was named Fort No.5 .Great store!!!

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

i still miss jim, he always had some cool item you coudn't find any where else, like one time he had a set of cuban camo that had been used in angola. (and way too rich for me,lol!)

• 10 months later...
Love of flags

In my hometown and I've been in that shop a couple times. Some neat items! Sadly like you said none for sale though.

Stopped at an old time surplus shop in downtown Fort Smith Arkansas yesterday. Lots of really choice WWII stuff..... All nailed to the walls wasting away. Even reasonable offers were scoffed at. Nothing for sale was collectable other than a few cut edge patches. Just an Fyi post.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Anything in the Little Rock area?

I think there are some surplus stores near the air base in Jacksonville. In between Maumelle and LR there was some antique stores/ flea markets that used to have a few older things. I remember one off the Crystal Hill exit I think.

• 3 weeks later...

I think there are some surplus stores near the air base in Jacksonville. In between Maumelle and LR there was some antique stores/ flea markets that used to have a few older things. I remember one off the Crystal Hill exit I think.

Thank you.

I'm home. No joy on military items but I was really too busy to give a good look.

Jim