ASU Questions

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

Am I correct that starting in January, the ASU will officially totally replace the Army Green dress uniform?

And, am I correct in concluding from looking at the photos available online, there will not be a current unit assignment badge (I know the ASU doesn't do patches) on it?

You mean the only unit identification other than duis are the CSIBs?

How can this be? How do you know what division a soldier is in?

Oh, and does this mean my box of merrowed edge ssi's will become pricelessly valuable now?

I would hope the merrowed edge SSIs would increase in value. Same thing with the Army green chevrons both cut edge and merrowed. The reality is that the Army green uniform that is being replaced by the ASU has been in use since 1958.

Think about how many millions of merrowed ege SSI and Army green chevrons have been manufactured in the 66 years this uniform was in use. Incidently, I believe this is the longest run for any uniform style ever used by the Army.

It is highly unlikely they will ever be worth more than a couple of dollars each. The true key to increased value is rarity not obsolescence.

Robswashashore

Well, actually my last comment about my merrowed edge SSIs was really just tongue in cheek. I really don't like the look of those metal badges at all. And it is still puzzling to me that the new uniform does not have a way to indicate the soldier's current division?

It is rather unpopular that the SSI was removed from the uniforms. It was said that the current uniform choice was put up to the soldiers and voted on, but I've yet to meet anyone that voted or was even given the option to vote. One of the competitors to the ASU was a return to the Ike jacket in the mustard brown. I would have much rather seen that than this current uniform. A member of my company who is a bit of a word smith summed up the ASU's with this: "It looks like a bunch of great ideas rolled into a ball of sh!t".

"It looks like a bunch of great ideas rolled into a ball of sh!t".

That just about sums it up.

Most likely designed by someone that never wore a uniform.

It is rather unpopular that the SSI was removed from the uniforms.

I have to agree 1000%. The SSI was one of the most unique features of US Army uniforms and AFAIK the only feature that members of other services liked. Army SSI's have a great history and a great symbolic value, getting rid of them was a very stupid idea.

One of the competitors to the ASU was a return to the Ike jacket in the mustard brown.

I've heard a lot of folks say that but guess I'm in the minority in that I never liked the look of the Ike jacket. For one thing, it is a copy of a British design and IMO it looks too "British" for Americans to wear. More importantly in this era of AR 600-9, if you are too fat or too skinny, it looks terrible.

I do, however, believe that the Army enlisted uniform of WWII was one of the best looking uniforms the Army ever had. I'd say bring back that uniform in its brown tone with khaki shirt and khaki tie, only make it for all ranks (no "pinks and greens" for the officers, IOW.) Or, as an alternative, "pinks and greens" for all ranks. Bring back the soft garrison cap with branch-color braid and of course, the khaki uniform for summer wear. That was a sharp looking uniform and IMO, Army uniforms have only gone downhill since the WWII uniform was phased out.

I am convinced for various reasons that SSI on the ASU will be adopted in the coming year. I suppose AG borders will be changed to blue.

That would be awesome if true. If they do this then of course they should get rid of the CSIB and bring back the right-sleeve combat patch.

"It looks like a bunch of great ideas rolled into a ball of sh!t".

The only thing I disagree with is the "great ideas" part. To me it looks like a bunch of terrible ideas, rolled into etc etc.

But then again, over 23 years of service I saw the Army uniform board make so many dumb decisions that I can't say I'm surprised.

The ASU makes a soldier look like a bellhop at a Manhattan hotel. You would think that the Army would understand why the Marines are generally acknowledged to have the best looking dress uniforms: Because they know not to mess with a good thing.

The wear out date for the Army Green Uniform was extended to 1 October 2015, however it is pretty rare to see one being worn today. The only insignia designating the current unit of assignment are the distinctive unit insignia.

I have to part company with most/all who have commented, I like the new ASU. I have been wearing it since it came out in 2008/2009. I had zero interest in returning to a WW II style uniform, leave that to the veterans who wore it and reenactors. I liked the Army Green Uniform and wore it for over twenty three years but I prefer the ASU.

I think a return to a khaki summer uniform would be great, but the top priority for the limited dollars should be the fast adoption of the OCP uniform to replace the ACU. Most Soldiers wear the dress uniform only a few times a year.

I am convinced for various reasons that SSI on the ASU will be adopted in the coming year. I suppose AG borders will be changed to blue.

Now that would be niffty, Blue bordered patches that have traditionally AG borders (since 58), maybe??? Blue backgrounds as well, like in 58, when some patches with OD backgrounds were changed to AG 44.

The ASU is just another attempt at the current theme of "Everyone a winner". The blues were a dress uniform for those occasions where you wanted to look a little snappier than with greens. Now, everyone is wearing a snappy uniform and no one is snappy. Just as said in the movie The Incredibles, "When everyone is a Super, then nobody will be a Super"

carbinephalen

I would feel fortunate to wear the ASU...

In fact, I just wish our AF uniform had pockets in the front. By far the worst dress uniform in the service.