What's the fastest way to soften leather?

Tasken_Lander

Tasken_Lander

Hi,

I'm trying to soften, make limp, a leather strap on one of my leather holsters and was wondering what would be the best product or technique for achieving this?

I'm not worried about accidentally ruining or damaging item as I need/want it to look weathered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Neats foot oil. It is used to soften baseball gloves and will soften any leather. Pour some in a small shallow container and work it into the leather with your fingers. let the oil soak in and reapply. Keep doing this until the leather is as pliable as you desire.

I would like to point out that neats foot oil is being sold with a synthetic blend along with the original blend containing cow bone. I have always prefered the original stuff.

Tasken_Lander

Thanks for the suggestions. This is for a costume I am working on, BTW -- so no value loss by me doing this to the holster in question.

I have some Kiwi brand Mink oil and Galco brand liquid leather conditioner at home. Would that work? Or should I just seek out some Neats Foot oil or Saddle soap and if so -- where, besides amazon, could one find some?

Thanks again,

Mike

• 2 months later...

I HAVE USED PLAIN WATER TO SOAK INTO THE LEATHER. THE MORE WATER, THE MORE PLIABLE IT WILL BECOME. I HAVE NEVER HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE USEING THIS METHOD WITH VIABLE LEATHER, AND WILL NOT LEAVE ANY RESIDUAL DAMAGE TO THE LEATHER PRODUCT. THIS IS THE SAME PRINCIPAL AS A POLICE OFFICERS LEATHER GEAR BEING WORN IN A RAINFALL. ONE POINT TO CONSIDER, AS YOU WATER IT FROM TIME/DAY TO DAY, LAY YOUR WET HOLSTER IN DIRECT SUNLIGHT, WHICH WILL HELP SHAPE THE LEATHER TO THE GUN YOU PUT IN IT. HOPE THIS HELPS, GIH

You can use Lexol or Liquid glycerin saddle soap.

I havent seen the synthetic neets foot oil but the older stuff I recall is petroleum based and eventually will deteriorate the cotton based threads used in sewing.I have seen dozens ofv old saddles and rifle scabbard with split seamsvthat had been slathered and drenched in neets foot oil.

Years ago it was the accepted practice to "treat" leather liners in german helmets with Vaseline And also on German gear.I have owned several helmets out of collections and you can tell Vaseline was used.you can always tell this as the leather is now stiff and rigid and fairly dark with a waxy appearance to the leather. also with the Vaseline being a petroleum product you can also see a lot of times where the leather where someone is starting to separate because of the threads have become damaged and pulled loose when the letter dried out and shrunk.

on the other hand if you are not too concerned about the threads or they are new and synthetic as a reproduction holster and you are darking it one way to make it very dark and very pliable is take used motor oil on it in just slather it all over it give it a big ol oil bath