Submarine Badge help Please

Hi Guys

Well I'm in the need of some expert info from the forum.While on a trip back home for Christmas I came across this submarine badge in a small antique shop.I'm thinking and hoping its ww2 ,but need the experts to help out.The only two issues it has is one of the clutch back post is slightly shorter,and one sterling fastner is post ww2.And if by chance anyone can help id the maker that would be awesome.Thanks in advance Jay

Sir

It appears to be silver.As to the post the area is not repaired but lighter due to the fastners being on them.Thanks for your fast response,Jay

Jay...it is tough to tell but the front does look if there is traces of a gold wash...if not it is a post war enlisted era badge...it still looks to have repaired pins...

Mike

Well the front appears to be silver,but looking thru a loop at the sterling mark it has a goldish tint,could be patina or gold residue? Thanks for your help,Jay

It looked like it had residue of gold wash to me...It would make it WWII era Officer and I think repaired pins.My value estimate. .. $75 to $125.

My name is Robert.

Hi Jay,

To me, the finish remaining on the obverse, in the recesses, looks silver. From what I've seen on other gold/silver finished badges, silver can easily tone to a goldish colour, but it is unlikely a gold finish will tone to a silver colour. A gold finish can certainly darken/tone to almost black, but not a light silver colour. Also, if you are confident the clutch posts are not resoldered, the bright silver finish at the base of the clutchposts may be the original silver finish retained due to either protection by the clutches and/or better retained by the different basemetal of the solder.

When Josh B sees this thread he may be able to point you in the right direction re maker (or possible makers).

Regards

Mike

I'm making a assumption by looking at a one dimensional image and I could be wrong. ..if it is a Silver enlisted badge with repaired pins...the value would be $40 to $70.

I have bought and sold a lot of Submarine badges...I stand by the opinion it has been repaired.

Thanks Mike. And all I can say is that you guys are awesome,Thank you so much for all the help.Now to find(Hopefully) an ww2 officers Dolphin,Jay

Good luck with the hunt Jay. If you get desperate, I've got a spare H-H Imperial marked deep wave pinback.

Happy New Year to all,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...