anybody know what this is? DMZ JSA Badge

Phantomf4

That's the UN crest, so it's UN related...JSA is the Joint Security Area in Korea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_Security_Area

Looks like maybe it hung from a pocket button, maybe a serialized badge of some type (141)

Hey, if you look at the picture of the south Korean guard inside the building, looks like he's wearing one.

Yeah it appears these are the badges worn by the South Korean Guards that guard the crossing from north to south, decided to look on ebay and found a couple, none with serial number and there kinda pricey. I wonder if any Americans wore these?

Yes, they did. At least when I was stationed in the ROK, 1983-84. These came in metal pocket hangers and embroidered versions.

Thanks for the info, did the guys who wore them only in the JSA compound? And do you know why they were numbered?

Thanks for the info, did the guys who wore them only in the JSA compound? And do you know why they were numbered?

JSA security personnel and I believe they were signed for by number to make them accountable.

• 5 weeks later...

These were worn by both Korean and U.S. personnel serving in the JSA. I've been looking for one of these

that was worn by an American MP. Would you consider selling it?

Thanks.

• 5 years later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

A buddy of mine served there and explained that they were issued by number and then turned back in. 1st platoon had three digits starting with the number one, second platoon three digits starting with the number two and so on. HQ personnel had single or double digit numbers. 

They exist on ebay for $50-100+ but are fairly uncommon. What's rare are the JSA personalized mugs (named) and the custom embroidered baseball caps. Also original brassards are quite rare.

A custom cap was embroidered for each member once accepted and trained. The cap was hung up in the bar until the day you left the unit. You would wear the cap only then, drinking a mix of alcohol from the custom mug, being roasted by team members. The mug must be consumed prior to the end of the roast.

Check the JSA topics on the USMF Facebook page. I've posted pictures there.