M7 Holster Snap Broke

hyrax222

I had the same problem so I took it to a local leather worker who makes saddles and bridles and he was able to repair it quickly. The snap itself is pretty standard.

Typically its the male snap on the body of the holster that comes loose from the verdegris build up which weakens the snaps from corrosion.You can either try and glue the piece back on or open the seam of the leather and replace the snap.The pieces are avaiable and can be found on line and from hardware supply places.You may also be able to source a replacement from a upholstry or canvas/tarp maker or supplier.There are also Tandy leather Stores who have the snaps but they are in bigger areas.THe main problem is finding the military finnish at the commecial outlets.I have seen sets of these on ebay as well in lesser quantities listed as DOT snaps.I believe the reinactor company At The Front has them as well.Possibly you may have a leather worker or shoe repair business in your area.These are a dying business but they can also do repairs.Just need to see if they can really do the job you want before letting them attempt it.

Thanks for the great posts! As Doyler mentioned, it was the male end that weakened from that nasty green shmootz which forms around the metal fixtures. I have a Tandy near and a saddler so I will check them out.

I purchased a snap setting tool that looks like a oversized vice grip.You can buy the extra dies for it to also set either snap or different grommets.It was a little over a $100 but well worth it for repairs and much better than the cheap tool they offer at fabric and hobby shops.Mine came with three different dies but the others for specialized jobs will run about $60 a set.You can even get the die to set the post stud for canteens,shovel covers etc.

• 3 weeks later...

With some snaps supplied and shipped to me absolutely free by a member on this forum I fixed it. I sourced the black waxed linen thread, needles and th riveting punch from Tandy's ( The Leather Factory). I don't think most people could see the "repair" even when told where to look.

Thanks again all who helped!