E17 case and containers

littlebuddy

These came along with another i piece i have posted . Should the 2 containers different ? as both of mine show first aid as the contents or should one be showing rations ?

it also came with a match holder , are these wartime pieces as there are no dates etc to give me a clue

thank you in advance for any help forth coming

LB

post-106122-0-49697600-1419860343.jpg

post-106122-0-46608400-1419860379.jpg

post-106122-0-33749300-1419860472.jpg

Thank you Dustin for confirming my thoughts , the flask that im missing , are they easily available ???

Thank you again

LB

Carl

You will see empties on ebay occasionally.

I recall there are two types/models of flasks.

Garcia's/ JG Aviation or Brits Bits on ebay use to sell them.

Good morning my Friend, I have this combination directly from the Vet. The first aid flask is identical to yours, but unfortunately, empty. The second flask is identical with all original contents remaining. The contents of the one you are missing, in order listed, are as follows: Chocolate Rations, Chewing Gum (4 sticks), Bouillon Powder, Raxor Blades, Leader (fishing) Kit, Fish Hook Kit, Fishing Line Kit, Compass, Saw Blade, Prophylactics, Sharpening Stone, Matches, Flask. It should be noted that there is a variant flask that differs in that there is no metal clamp, and the water cap is at one side rather than in the center. Contents, in order of listing, are as follows: Chocolate Ration, Bouillon Powder, Malted Milk, Benzedrine, Asprin, Halazone, Antiseptic Ointment, Adhesive Tape, Matches, Flask. Furthermore, it should be noted that, while your match container is cylindrical, there is a specimen that is rectangular with screw cap at end of top. Hope this helps. Jack

First, you have the most common variation of the E-17 which is a good thing since you are now in the hunt for the rations flask. Pictured is the proper mate to the medical flask you have.

From what I'm gathering you are an ETO USAAF collector? If so, an E-17 kit would not belong in the spectrum based on a string of facts. The E-17 was designed to be a jungle emergency kit to start and all production, due to demand, was ear marked for the PTO/CBI. This is especially true for the 1944 manufacture, your kit was the last of the production of the E-17 which began in the spring of 1945 and the war in the ETO was over in May. There was also zero demand for this type of kit as well in the ETO.

post-56-0-51497300-1419898681.jpg

In Jacks post he also talked about an additional kit which is technically of the E-3 series not an E-17, these are individual units. Pictured is the flask kit with rectangular match safe and is the only one to use this shape. Note the taped lid, off set hex nut port all unique features to this unit alone.

post-56-0-10327800-1419899038.jpg

post-56-0-30667700-1419899077.jpg

Thanks for all the info Dustin !! Very interesting indeed !

Yes I do collect ETO items predominantly, but im not adverse to collecting outside that theatre as long as it's USAAF related

Now for the fun in hunting down all the pieces needed to complete it

Thanks again for the information and if you could help ??

Carl

Good luck on your quest. My advice is to wait for a complete one to buy. I think it will save you money in the long run from having to buy a consistent array of parts kits. They are sought after as there are many with empty units. This is another example that the sum of parts is worth more than the whole meaning I could make more money selling my kits piece by piece than a whole package.