Pilots penlights

Charles1966

Hello, I would appreciate a little advice on pilots penlights. To be specific, I'm looking for a red filtered penlight that dates prior to 1964. The Yates model is my preference but info on not only these, but all types of military penlights is very limited. I know that A-6B with the small clip is WW2 issue but I would prefer a mid 50's to early 60's model (I'm funny about things like that). Thanks in advance...

Here's the Yates model. I've read up on this one and some say it dates before 1963. I'd like to find the source of this info, but no luck as of yet...

YT00001.jpg

This is the A-6B (Post War) by Justrite. There's also and aluminum bodied model as well, I'd like to get some idea of production dates on these two types and the previous Yates model. Also, any suggestions on penlight options that predate 1964 would be greatly appreciated (It doesn't have to be U.S.G.I.) but military is preferable...

JU00014.jpg

Hello,

I have one of these. Must go myself to see, it is currently worn by one of my pilots mannequinns (hanging from neck of the RF-101 pilot of '60s).

Will take a pic of it, it's not a particularly important item for me, If interested I have no problems in giving it away.

To next one -. Franco.

Hello, I was wrong - it's on another pilot... :rolleyes: ah ah !!

sorry one of pics really sucks - but just to give an impression, penlight is in very good shape and has its adjustable red filter in black cylindrical "knob" (?), filter works perfect.

Just the markings are partially rubbed off (no scratches anyway), I read "... Flashlight - ... Pilot's, MS-22997.... " remaining is illegible. I guess a penlight from the '60s anyway, but it is not my favourite field.

If interested please inquire. Greetings from Italy, Franco.

post-151851-0-67237900-1419855929.jpg

post-151851-0-78944600-1419855940.jpg

Asked to a collector I know in Milano (Italy), I pretty well imagined he could know far better than me such specific items. He told me the whole markings should be, if fully readable:

FLASHLIGHT, PENLIGHT STYLE,

PILOTS, MS 21998-2, U.S.

ACCUR. ELX. OH. P/N 213310-2

He guess it should be from about very late '50s to early '60s as for the origins, and the successor to the one you pictured in post #2.

Hope this can help - franco.

Thank you for investigating it for me. I've spent many many hours trying to pin down the dates of manufacture of these types of lights. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again...

Hello,

a pleasure. I've always overlooked such items.. do not know why. Much more towards helmets, parachutes, oxy. equipments. etc..

If interested in getting the penlight, please let me know. Franco.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up this one today at an estate sale. From limited research, I believe that this is a WW2 era penlight and the previously mention A-6B is a Viet Nam era light. But, I can't be certain until I do more research. Comments welcome. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-82357400-1426102104.jpg

post-12790-0-70472400-1426102122.jpg

post-12790-0-36694800-1426102163.jpg

post-12790-0-65920200-1426102179.jpg

post-12790-0-51844100-1426103184.jpg

LB---great info. Can you date it by the spec or order number? My dating could be all wrong on the A-6B. This looks more like WW2 era packaging to me. Thanks, Al.

littlebuddy

Sorry for the bad photo Al , but mine is stamped property AIR FORCES US ARMY , hard to read i know from the photo :blush:

Yours is the same style , but with a later stamping , ALTHOUGH , it does say "style" on yours ?? :blink:

As for dating ??? not sure at all Al

Ill have to delve into the ABYSS that is google for that info !!! :)

LB

Sorry for the bad photo Al , but mine is stamped property AIR FORCES US ARMY , hard to read i know from the photo :blush:

Yours is the same style , but with a later stamping , ALTHOUGH , it does say "style" on yours ?? :blink:

As for dating ??? not sure at all Al

Ill have to delve into the ABYSS that is google for that info !!! :)

LB

LB---Mine reads as follows:

FLASHLIGHT, MS 21998-1,

PENLIGHT STYLE, PILOTS

P/N 1730-7 JUSTRITE

U.S.

I am really confused now.

If yours is stamped AIR FORCES US ARMY, it's definitely WW2 or at least up until 1947 when USAAF became the USAF.

Thanks, Al.

BlueBookGuy

Sometimes nomenclature is a bit odd, as for the correct naming of US military aviation.

A perfect instance is that khaki, or olive drab, pouch carrying the H-1 pattern oxy. bottle - the original, 100% correct khaki specimens are clearly stamped "US Air Force" even though they are from 1942-43.