WWI Dump Finds

Dharmacy

I've never understood the "S" disks. In the WWI period, troop designations only went up to "M". That's with a full complement of three squadrons. Even if there was a fourth squadron, that would only make it up to "Q". Someone once speculated that it had something to do with Supply, but that doesn't sound right either. Perhaps someone here has access to Scipio's Collar Disk book. That may enlighten us.

My guess at first was that the S was for Scout, but page 63 of Scipio states: "In 1917, all numbers were moved from branch disks to the US disk, leaving only the company, troop, or battery letter below." *

Footnote*- Change 1, Special Regulations 42, 29 December 1917.

Page 65 (Plate 7) shows 2 such disks, one with the S only and one with 7 above crossed sabers and the S below.

If my memory is right, "S" was for the Supply Troop or in a non-cavalry unit, the Supply Company or Battery. I think the supply companies became Service Companies (Troops, Batteries) after WW1. Army Tables of Organization and Equipment are available.

Yep, there it is in the Tables of Organization: "Supply Troop". It didn't show up in the first table that I had viewed. Thanks, atb.

Another mystery solved! That's what appealed to me with this forum, a lot of knowledge here. If I remember correctly, there were several of these collar discs recovered from this dump.

• 1 month later...

That dilemma over what S stood for had me a while back. Not an easy thing to search on google, or here for that matter, just because it returns a bajillion unhelpful results. I have a uniform with one on it.

• 2 months later...
Tennessee

Great selection of artifacts! I sure enjoy such treasures as these on the Forum! Thanks for sharing the finds from years of relic hunting trips! I've been told that the items are so thick on the battlefields of the Great War in Europe that the relic hunters frequently lay aside the metal detectors and hunt with a rake or grubbing hoe! So many of the veterans I knew from WWII told me hours of stories about the stuff they dumped into latrines whenever they moved! Thanks again for sharing!

David