O/S Hat with Sand Cast EGA

Belleauwood

not out of line at all...

I find it interesting that they'd bother to have put a stabilizing pin on that first pinback emblem you posted. looks like it was removed or broken off, sadly, but who can complain about that example? great pieces

Y'all! This is a very interesting bird. Made for the right side of a USMC officer's o/s cap, which is where they wore the emblem back then with rank insignia on the left. Enlisted men of course wore their EGAs on the left side of the cap. Here is pic of another sand-cast (though I must admit I never thought of it that way until now), worn by an enlisted man who served in the 49th Co, 5th Marines and later in Co. E, Composite Regiment. Clearly these insignia were made by the same works, cleverly reversing the anchor to accomodate the change. The pin is gone but the catch is present and the locations of each are identical to Dennis' post. And Darrell, I think this is not "trenched" but made with the wings in a horizontal postion.

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Hanigan_PinBack_obv.JPGHanigan_Pinback_REV.JPG

P.S. WOW! On closer examination, notice that Dennis' Officer globe is upside down! To create a right-side emblem, the maker placed the eagle on the other side of the world! I wonder who made these? The troops or some local craftsman. Bobgee

Belleauwood

Bob, Make mee feel a lot better!!This O/c hat is from a 3rd Batallion, 6th 2nd. Lieut.

This is feom a 40 x 8 "yardlong" that is on the wall - Best, Dennis

post-3422-1215816445.jpg

Schnicklfritz
Bob, Make mee feel a lot better!!This O/c hat is from a 3rd Batallion, 6th 2nd. Lieut.

This is feom a 40 x 8 "yardlong" that is on the wall - Best, Dennis

post-3422-1215816445.jpg

Hummm, I wonder if he is standing on a milk crate??? :lol: I recognize the face without a doubt!

That's a wonderful photo for many reasons. Love to see the details on those helmets and patches. Also note the Marine holding what looks like to be a mascot, bottom row seated on the right side, looks like one of the Mexican varmits that I can't remember the name of right now or maybe a monkey! I sure would like to have a colletion of those yard long photos. It would be a wonderful study.

Belleauwood

I'll get you some close-ups tomorrow - I'm lucky to have a photo like this with sharp contrast and little to no toning - Dennis

On General Lejeune's left is the C.O. of Co. E, Composite Regt. Captain Clifton Cates. That is a great USMC image! I wonder where the 'sandcast' emblems were made? France or Germany? One thing I reckon is they've got to be rare birds!!!!

Semper Fi..........Bobgee

Can't help answer any questions about the EGAs as they are out of my league, BUT I can say it is a real pleasure to see the items you have posted in this thread and others. :)

Feel free to post as many as you want, Dennis! :D Won't get any complaints from me. :)

Dennis,

What a wonderfull photo.....any chance of getting some closeups of some of the soldiers and Marines. Would love to see closeups of the helmets and patches...........thank you so much for sharing........

Belleauwood
Dennis,

What a wonderfull photo.....any chance of getting some closeups of some of the soldiers and Marines. Would love to see closeups of the helmets and patches...........thank you so much for sharing........

I'll get'er done at some point. Being accused of family neglect due to forum.

Dennis,

That's funny I get accused of that all the time.......thank you so much for everything you have been sharing. Sharing with people who respect, honor, and appreciate this history is so much more meaningful. It is like going to a museum everyday and wondering what new item they have found in the storage area and decided to showcase.

Belleauwood
On General Lejeune's left is the C.O. of Co. E, Composite Regt. Captain Clifton Cates. That is a great USMC image! I wonder where the 'sandcast' emblems were made? France or Germany? One thing I reckon is they've got to be rare birds!!!!

Semper Fi..........Bobgee

I beleive that there is a real potential that these are German made. My German made uniform of Frederick Nagel, 2nd Lieut. had crudely cast collar ornaments that had never been off the uniform until I took them off to inspect. I broke one in the process. Nagel was a Gunnary Sgt. with a battlefield promotion to Lt. at the end of the war. I will post photos today of these collar devices. You're gonna' love'em!---- Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
usmcaviator

One of my others - You guys tell me if I'm outta' line posting this stuff.

post-3422-1215730966.jpg

Dennis,
Out of line? All I can say is it's about time stuff like this gets posted. I've been holding back, but now I'm inspired to post some more of what I have lying around!

I don't think I've ever photographed this one, but the construction of the EGA is very similar to the one on your overseas cap, Dennis. Seems sand cast, wings were cast that way and not bent, and it never had a post, so it is definately not modified.

Note the twisted red/gold piping. This cap has a French tailors label inside.

Mike
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

teufelhunde.ret

Gents, thank you both for sharing these unique emblems. Upon seeing Mike's for the first time today, it became apparent there are unique differences (aside from the hemisphere being turned on Brian's) and have used both here to compare. Side-by-side each is unique in its casting about the fluke & anchor. Do you suppose to different makers? Do you suppose (same maker) with two different molds in use at the same time? s/f Darrell

bob__s_sandcast.jpg

sand_cast_mike.jpg

sand_cast_dennis.jpg

Howdy gents - I feel a need to chime in here and repost my 'sandcast' emblem for additional comparison. I think the sandcasting process used on mine & Dennis' was rather primitive and feel it might have been the same maker. The obverses, notwithstanding the up-side-down globe appear the same. Mike's has a better look to it though it is an EM emblem worn on the right side of the O/S cap. (BTW - Great cap, Mike!) I wonder if they were not produced by Marines in the rear with the gear rather than a commercial manufacturer. Were they made in France? Or in Germany after the Armistice? If we could find a common thread in the owners it might reveal something. My man Seth Hanigan was in the 49th Co, 1st Bn, 5th Marines and in May 1919 in Germany was selected for Co, E. Composite Regiment. Whatcha think? Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Sandcast_ENL_EGA_OBV.jpgSandcast_ENL_EGA_REV.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Bob... so sorry, I forgot to get yours in the re-post. You may be onto something with the "common thread" angle? Upon seeing yours next to Mike's it would appear they are of the closest match - that being the flashing between the globe and the upper fluke...? s/f Darrell

That flashing between the globe & upper fluke may have disapeared when the three parts of Dennis' bird, Eagle & Globe & Anchor were recast, perhaps disassembled, to form the right-side, forward pointing anchor Officer EGA. Hmmmmm? think.gif

S/F ......Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret
That flashing between the globe & upper fluke may have disapeared when the three parts of Dennis' bird, Eagle & Globe & Anchor were recast, perhaps disassembled, to form the right-side, forward pointing anchor Officer EGA. Hmmmmm? think.gif

S/F ......Bobgee

Your onto something, and perhaps the reason the globe is upsidedown and eagle looking the wrong way? Hmmmmmmm? think.gif

S/F Darrell

usmcaviator

There is a faint name in my cap and I was never able to figure it out just using the 4th Marine Brigade book. Now with ancestry.com, I will see if I can decipher it. I will let you know if the name pans out and see if I can get a pic of the label and name for you all to see. If we can get a name, there may be a link to Bob's information he has supplied.

Mike

• 5 years later...

my contribution to this thread, just picked up this beauty. Pins sure do look similar to French made officer emblems

101_3533.JPG