Marine War Room

That is a very nice, focused collection and you did a fine job displaying it all, it looks great. Thank for posting the photos I just spent the last half hour looking at them. I like General Butler's grammar school certificate.

Well done.

Dennis

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very nice, focused collection and you did a fine job displaying it all, it looks great. Thank for posting the photos I just spent the last half hour looking at them. I like General Butler's grammar school certificate.

Well done.

Dennis

That's one of my favorite pieces, too

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Looks great! I love the way you have the uniforms in front of the shadow boxes, it looks really good. Who is the officer in the large portrait, do you know?

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Always looking for items from these men (family members):
Even if not to buy, to know where they are would be great.
Cornelius Doherty - 108th Field Artillery, Pennsylvania NG, WWI Joseph A. Doherty - 7th Infantry Regiment, 3rd ID. KIA March 3, 1944.
Harry Riley - 62nd Armored Field Artillery Bn, Died August 13, 1944. Robert Lester Mahler - I/3/24, 4th Marine Div. WIA March 8, 1945.
Thomas R. Riley - USAAF Joshua L. Doherty - With a Seabee Unit, I believe.
Ens. Alex A. Gorski, USNR - Died as a POW, January 28, 1945. Capt. Henry Gorski, USN (ret.)
Remembering their service and sacrifice.

Looks great! I love the way you have the uniforms in front of the shadow boxes, it looks really good. Who is the officer in the large portrait, do you know?

Unfortunately I do not. Thought I had a lead once and it didn't pan out. All I know is it appears he was in 5th or 6th Marines in WWI based on his ribbons

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Great stuff Brig!

It's amazing to see the growth in eleven years! I'm a fan of the stovepipe on top of the display cases. Also, did you get some of your binders bound in Marine HBT? The five binders behind the lint roller in post 5 look like marine HBT to me. If they are, that's dedication!

Looking for anything related to Army Ranger Battalions from World War II

Great stuff Brig!

It's amazing to see the growth in eleven years! I'm a fan of the stovepipe on top of the display cases. Also, did you get some of your binders bound in Marine HBT? The five binders behind the lint roller in post 5 look like marine HBT to me. If they are, that's dedication!

I did not, they're green clothed binders that came as is. Guess it's how the veteran mounted them. He was in the supply gig, might be what the government was using back then. He got out in 67 or 69

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Bravo Zulu Marine!!! Truly one of the top 3 displays this year. I saw the "meager" collection in person some 5-6 years ago now, it's grown in breath and depth exponentially and beyond the scope of the typical collector. This is a perfect example of what one can have IF a collector can put forth extra time, imagination and some monies on display acutraments. Congrats on a job superbly done. PS pleased to see you implemented my idea of the plastic knitting screens for mounting EGAs in frame, looks outstanding and would make a good thread on its own right. s/f D.

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Bravo Zulu Marine!!! Truly one of the top 3 displays this year. I saw the "meager" collection in person some 5-6 years ago now, it's grown in breath and depth exponentially and beyond the scope of the typical collector. This is a perfect example of what one can have IF a collector can put forth extra time, imagination and some monies on display acutraments. Congrats on a job superbly done. PS pleased to see you implemented my idea of the plastic knitting screens for mounting EGAs in frame, looks outstanding and would make a good thread on its own right. s/f D.

You're absolutely right, my friend. It did take dozens of hours getting all of the rikers together, mounted, and prepped...but it was a lot of fun, too. And they display so much better than simply on a shelf. And as far as costs...not too bad, either. Patience is key, I found both of those tall displays used...one on CL, the other at a thrift store...and paid less than $250 for the pair...around $300 when I replaced the wooden shelves in one with glass so the light wasn't blocked. I'm fairly sure the large one is double to triple that, new. Mannequins were mostly CL, odds and ends and frames were craft shops during sales...Hobby Lobby, naturally, decided to open up a venue here about a week after I finished my last display.

And the knitting screens work great! I counted the rows it would take to make them even, and then cut little 4 square holes so I never have to worry about snapping a post pushing them through. I also made a couple of templates I can use in the future when I need more, so I might spin together a thread on it in the near future.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Brig fantastic!!!!!!!!! Nothing more be said.....love that photo wall.....you were right you found some great images!

Always looking for items associated with the China Marines! Visit chinamarine.org

The only thing I had trouble really displaying was my box of the Blackinton marksmanship match awards...I ran out of wall space, and these would likely take many rikers to even display, so I tried to stack and spread them on a shelf. Some day when I get a bigger room maybe I can get them on the wall...

IMG_8086.JPG

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Super. Really nicely done. Would love to see more of the portraits.

Most, if not all, of the portraits I posted at some point here... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/115386-brigs-usmc-photo-archive/?hl=%20brig#39;s

Here is a shot from the other side. As it's in the hallway, unfortunately I can't get any straight on shots

IMG_8099.JPG

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

allow me to speak a bit of foreign-language here: "HO---LEE---SHEET !"

Beautiful, beautiful! Just incredible display. So well presented and cared for. I love it.

Semper brother.

P.S. Can I pls see the USMC rings on that hand? a close-up or 2?

And how about the German case!? Can't we bend the rulz a bit to see that case?

I SEARCH FOR, RESEARCH, AND PRESERVE WWII USMC COMBAT GROUPINGS; NAMED AND PATCHED BLUES AND ALPHA UNIFORMS; MEDALS; SWORDS; AND CLASS RINGS FROM THE CITADEL MILITARY COLLEGE IN CHARLESTON, SC.
http://No_outside_hosting.us/scaled/landing/191/americanheritagebanner.png

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

allow me to speak a bit of foreign-language here: "HO---LEE---SHEET !"

Beautiful, beautiful! Just incredible display. So well presented and cared for. I love it.

Semper brother.

P.S. Can I pls see the USMC rings on that hand? a close-up or 2?

And how about the German case!? Can't we bend the rulz a bit to see that case?

The militaria Gods might smite me if I bend the rules, but I assure you it's not very impressive, I only dabble and I am not quite the stickler in regards to German as I am with USMC

Snapped a couple images of the rings/other sweetheart stuff. Nothing special. The one is a man's ring someone made from an enlisted tie clip, one is a well worn WWII or Korea era, and the last is a Vietnam era PX type ring I found at a local thrift shop

I do intend to get a black formal woman's glove for the hand to display better, but don't plan on walking into a smut shop to do so

101_8123.JPG

101_8125.JPG

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Great collection!!!

Ricardo.

Thought you'd like the fact that two of those uniforms are Iwo vets :)

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Brig,

I just stumbled accross this post.

What an awesome collection and very well displayed.

I am going to addopt your method of mounting in the Riker cases and hanging them. They look great.

Semper Fidelis,

Rocco

Rocco C. DeCamillo

Currently Seeking:

WWII US Typhus Commission Medal Titled case or a sett

WWI era Navy Cross

WWII Presidential Medal for Merit titled case

Early button type Navy Cross & Army DSM Rosette lapel button

Brig,

I just stumbled accross this post.

What an awesome collection and very well displayed.

I am going to addopt your method of mounting in the Riker cases and hanging them. They look great.

Semper Fidelis,

Rocco

Please feel free. I have some topics buried here on the displays forum about converting them, takes about 2 minutes once you get the swing of them. I found it very nice to display without taking too deeply into the collecting budget. I used a label maker and placed the Marine's name on top of the riker, and units/major engagements/etc on the bottom.

IMG_8079.JPG

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'