Blue backed bullion aircrew wing

littlebuddy

Great looking wings, but I would want 501st Geronimo ( the forums leading expert and collector of blue combat wings) seal of approval to sleep well at night. I sure like them but I'm no expert! Paul

AAF_Collection

Great looking wings, but I would want 501st Geronimo ( the forums leading expert and collector of blue combat wings) seal of approval to sleep well at night. I sure like them but I'm no expert! Paul

The reverse backing material is typical of certain British made insignia, including some RAF wings and officers bullion cap badges, and I have seen it used on other blue backed AAF wings I've handled.

Perhaps 501st Geronimo has some other examples, which are not on uniforms and which have this type of backing he can share for comparison?.

501stGeronimo

Thanks for the comments, but I am a student...not a expert ;) . Learning new things everyday. But the wing is 100% right as rain. There is nothing wrong with the backing on this wing. Very Nice example.

Here are a few examples with similar backing:

Gwendyr Flight Engineer with similar stitching to attach the backing.

post-36094-0-84952300-1419996061.jpg

post-36094-0-08550500-1419996073.jpg

501stGeronimo

A Bullion Aircrew with similar design, but was made by a different unknown tailor. Backing is different, but still executed in a similar way.

post-36094-0-67746900-1419996237.jpg

post-36094-0-97588000-1419996383.jpg

Thank you 501st for that informative piece , are there any examples of NON CORRECT BLUE BACKED WINGS ? just so we can have some kind of comparison ? im sure there are others out there who want to collect these wings but are unsure as to whether a example is kosher or not ??

And as you are the leading collector on here , you might be able to help ???

Thanks

LB

Nice Find, Carl. wishing you and yours a great 2015. BTW-that's a great new avatar.

Thanks Bob ! the very same to you ! im glad you like the avatar :D

Carl

501stGeronimo

Thank you 501st for that informative piece , are there any examples of NON CORRECT BLUE BACKED WINGS ? just so we can have some kind of comparison ? im sure there are others out there who want to collect these wings but are unsure as to whether a example is kosher or not ??

And as you are the leading collector on here , you might be able to help ???

Thanks

LB

Please elaborate on non kosher. Do you mean reproduction? Or what do you mean by that.

Please elaborate on non kosher. Do you mean reproduction? Or what do you mean by that.

Yes , sorry kosher is a term we use over here in the UK for original not fake

thanks

LB

501stGeronimo

Over here kosher is normally before pickles :D but from personal experience, you need to study the bullion on it. The backing material is also a thing to note. It is basically like studying real or fake patches. Holding it in your hand helps out alot. I don't have any reproductions in my collection to compare.

I'm not sure if a Rabbi was involved with any of these wings or not thereby making them kosher but here's a thread with a group of blue backed wings I purchased last year. There's a mix of WW2 era and post-war wings as well easily distinguished by the color of the blue background. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/200144-interesting-bullion-flight-engineer-wing/

501stGeronimo

The background color is a good distinguisher, I have two italian made blue backs that have a light blue background color like the ones from early post war usaf.

the example i have posted is very thick compared to the embroidered type i also have

i can also see what you mean regarding the colour of the "blue" backing , very informative thank you

Carl