OIF Battle-Damaged Helmet

bryang

A close friend of mine (we served together in 5th Special Forces Group in Iraq and later in Afghanistan as civilian contractors) was struck in the head during a lengthy firefight in Iraq in 2004.

Colin was turret gunner when they were ambushed. He told me that he recalled an Iraqi launching an RPG upward in his general direction, which zipped past his head. Later that evening when they arrived at a secure FOB, Colin removed his helmet and set it upon the hood of his vehicle. One of his team mates asked him if he had been hit. Colin did a quick look down his body and said that he didn't feel as if he had been hit. A look at his helmet, however, indicated that the RPG passed a little bit closer than he had realized, and made a slice in his helmet!

He kept the helmet as a keepsake. I'd seen it many times but this evening I snapped a couple photos of it to share with the folks of this forum.

post-152877-0-37859600-1419656580.jpgpost-152877-0-96993600-1419656589.jpg

I believe the Secure FOB referred to above was FOB Chosin, in Iskandariyah. It was located at a power plant just North of Musayyib. 1-32 IN operated from there.

Dont see many of those damaged helmets with documentation.

Thanks for posting

most are taken for research into bettering the safety of helmets but they try to return as many to the vets as they can as a souvenir but alot of time they dont get returned (just clearing up why)

most are taken for research into bettering the safety of helmets but they try to return as many to the vets as they can as a souvenir but alot of time they dont get returned (just clearing up why)

Since when? Most of the vets I've ever talked to no mater what the conflict this stuff if compromised was just trashed. Also a few recent vets have told me they are responsible for their helmets so they have to pay for them if they dont turn them back in. Never once has "Research for bettering safety" ever come up.

Research as I understand it is done in the development and production stage primarily.Kinda like putting a car through a crash test before you actually let the public crash one first.

Research as I understand it is done in the development and production stage primarily.Kinda like putting a car through a crash test before you actually let the public crash one first.

+1

Since when? Most of the vets I've ever talked to no mater what the conflict this stuff if compromised was just trashed. Also a few recent vets have told me they are responsible for their helmets so they have to pay for them if they dont turn them back in. Never once has "Research for bettering safety" ever come up.

i dont know when, but there was a whole big thing about it when a vet got his helmet back after it took a shot... they said those (of course its the ones they can get) which are damaged are taken for research into improvements for future helmets. the vet even said "after that long i didnt expect to get my helmet back" but he did after a long while...

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2014/12/19/craig-bullet-helmet-lifesaver/20599435/

an other soldier receiving his helmet after it was studied... took a sniper round to the head and survived.

post-125364-0-43475300-1419664544.jpg

Based on reading the article this looks like its a special circumstance considering he survived a direct hit which the helmet was not rated for being that it was only rated for small arms. This doesn't happen to every bullet struck helmet.

Based on reading the article this looks like its a special circumstance considering he survived a direct hit which the helmet was not rated for being that it was only rated for small arms. This doesn't happen to every bullet struck helmet.

ok I should have said "Alot" instead of "most" but those which are damaged more so than a slice taken out of it as we see above as in "Nonservicable" if they can get them they do get them for research into development into future helmets.

Here's a better article of the same nature where they explain that the equipment from wounded and killed soldiers is sent back... so on http://www.lemarssentinel.com/story/1931267.html

1966ww2collector

ok I should have said "Alot" instead of "most" but those which are damaged more so than a slice taken out of it as we see above as in "Nonservicable" if they can get them they do get them for research into development into future helmets.

Here's a better article of the same nature where they explain that the equipment from wounded and killed soldiers is sent back... so on http://www.lemarssentinel.com/story/1931267.html

Good article Jake. Makes sense to me that the manufacturing companies would want to examine and research any battle damaged equipment they could get. Real life R&D. I come from a manufacturing background. Lives typically weren't at stake but we always were testing post use parts. Labs can't simulate all field conditions. Getting their hands on equipment that worked and some that didn't work to evaluate seems like something that would be invaluable to future development. I would be surprised if it weren't an SOP.

When a helmet gets reported as part of the official report, the belmet will be recovered for research as part of the TBI project. This is part of the reason why helmets are now getting TBI sensors in the crown. the above helmet was hit before this started, hence why he probably got to keep it. It is also why, during Medevac, that the helmets are recovered with the casualty.

wonderfull piece,thanks for sharing.if it hasn't been done already your friend should sit and compose a document as to what happened and take a pic of him holding it.that the history won't be lost.......dave