WWI 99th Aero Squadron Uniform Group

Croix de Guerre

Croix de Guerre
Bill's dad knitting socks for the Red Cross.

I asked his daughter about this photo, she said his mom (which is standing over his dad's shoulder) couldn't knit for beans so Mr. Doran had to take over and do his bit for the boys over there. (This photo was taken at the Doran home in 1918)

post-3356-1237586134.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Our young forum members seem to be fixated on more recent militaria. I guess this is OK but, what about some of these "TRUE" historical pieces? I wish more folks would be drawn to this sort history. Alas, it's up to me to bring it back to the top. ;)

Our young forum members seem to be fixated on more recent militaria. I guess this is OK but, what about some of these "TRUE" historical pieces? I wish more folks would be drawn to this sort history. Alas, it's up to me to bring it back to the top. ;)

What is real funny is that people are looking at real pieces of history and don't even have the courtesy of posting anything about it. Unless your in there specific click or group or are a certain individual who can say no wrong, you will at most get a few individuals who are genuine enough to post on your topic.I find it very discouraging that most of the newer/younger members think that the number of post means that you know something and the more LOL's or emoticons they use the more they know( thumbdown.gif ) .The other thing that really gets me is how envious some of these people are about what others find, and how impatient others are too. I find it rude that people post that they could find a place to keep this, or openly advertise that they want to purchase the item that someone just bought. Use a little tact and PM the person. I have beaten the bushes and waited my fair share for items in my collection. The newer, "I want it now collectors" just baffle me.I think alot of these guys with 2000 post in less than 6 months should really sit back and realize that there are things in life more than this hobby.I just shake my head and get discouraged with this forum and wonder why I even bother posting anything on here. This forum has been taken over by people who are too lazy to crack open a book when the all knowing INTERNET and google doesn't have the answer. Or better yet are too lazy to google an item when they know if they post a picture someone on a forum will do the work for them. It really frightens me to see the way this hobby and this forum is going. I will say this that I have been fortunate enough to meet some of the fine members of this forum and there are alot of very knowledgeable people here. That being said, as a wise old fire captain told me when I was a recruit, "Keep your eyes and ears open and SHUT YOUR MOUTH, then you might learn something". I think some of the new collectors might be able to use this. If I offended you then point should be taken. PS. This is one of the finest Air Service groupings I have seen, and its nice to know someone like Tom has it..keep it up preserving our history.. Paul

• 8 years later...

Hey Paul-

I just happened to run across this thread while mining for gold in the old Forum listings. I have been collecting WWI id'd groups since 1980, and for me, it really is all about the stuff and the stories- the research is priceless! Your statements about the joy of long term collecting and preservation are truer now than those 9 years ago! I just wanted to bring them back to the present for further discussion! Thanks again for putting your comments together!

David

I will second Tennessee's motion, well stated and I know I don't know a lot, and still learn everyday about these things we gather...George

• 3 years later...

Given that the 99th has been around since 1917, I don't feel too horrible about resurrecting this thread a bit! While I can't contribute as an expert, I can contribute some materials that have come into my possession. My great-grandfather, Henry Russell Lyman, served with the very first 99th Aero Observation Squadron, 1917-1919. With the passing of my father and grandfather, the few remaining possessions of Henry R Lyman have come down to me, and they include a few photos and papers that might be of value.

I'll post those here, in separate replies with info about each item.

(As an aside, someone here mentioned something about speaking French... if such a skill would be of use, I speak it fluently and would be happy to help.)

Ok, the first photo is in rather bad condition, but I'm posting it anyway because it has value. It only has 7 people in it, so I'm assuming not many copies of this were ever printed. My great-grandfather Henry R Lyman is bottom-row, third from the left. He would have been the one that wrote the names that are on the photo.

Note that Capt. Lyle S Powell has a pin or badge of a buffalo above his left pocket. Also note that he doesn't yet have both of his wings.

99thAeroSquad1.jpg

This photo of the 99th Aero Observation Squadron was taken of a large group, and each member likely got a copy. You will find a scan of this photo on Wikipedia's page for the 99th, but I thought I would scan H.R. Lyman's print of it, because it appears to be better quality that other prints out there (in terms of focus).

99th_Aero_Squadron_AEF.jpg

These are some additional, unmarked photos from Henry R. Lyman's small collection. Perhaps someone else will be able to accurately identify the subjects.

Henry Russell Lyman served in the following squadrons while in the USAF in WWI:

• 99 Aer Obsn Sq to Apr 27/19
  • 1106 Aer Repl Sq to July 2/19
  • 1111 Aer Repl Sq to disch

So, these may be from any of those I would assume.

HRLyman_WWI_Photos.jpg

Here are some papers, Special Order No. 76, from Captain Lyle S Powell, 99th Aero Obs. Squadron, 21 January 1919.

This seems to be the order that authorized the Buffalo pin for the 99th.

(Note my great-grandfather's hand-written notes. It appears he obtained these on loan in 1928. He also marked the people that he recalled serving with, and the people that he recalled as being killed or wounded in action.)

HRLyman_SO76_WWI_pg1.jpg

HRLyman_SO76_WWI_pg2.jpg

And, for what it's worth (in this context, I suppose it's worthwhile to see the uniform), here is a picture of Henry Russell Lyman, in Tours, France, in 1917 when he joined the USAF.

Henry_Russell_Lyman_1917_retouch2.jpg

Just to bring it all back to the original post, note that my great-grandfather served with William T. Doran, and that Doran appears in the Special Order papers above.

• 9 months later...

tfurrows, Thanks for posting the images re: Sgt. Lyman! If I can help with the photo ID of the 7 men with the 99th sign....

Probably Nov. 1918......Top left: Lt. Jefferson Hayes-Davis - Operations, Capt Lyle S. Powell, C.O., Lt. Edgar Driscoll - Adjutant

Bottom Row

Corp. Sweeney, Sgt. Miller, Sgt. Lyman, Corp. Quilici

All ID's courtesy of Lyle Powell's photo with the handwritten ID's.

Do you have any other photos or documents from Lyman?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

That is a very cool grouping. 

In most instances, we don't know the individual history of wings or squadron pins. It really brings those items to life. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2021 at 12:09 PM, tfurrows said:

These are some additional, unmarked photos from Henry R. Lyman's small collection. Perhaps someone else will be able to accurately identify the subjects.

Henry Russell Lyman served in the following squadrons while in the USAF in WWI:

• 99 Aer Obsn Sq to Apr 27/19
  • 1106 Aer Repl Sq to July 2/19
  • 1111 Aer Repl Sq to disch

So, these may be from any of those I would assume.

HRLyman_WWI_Photos.jpg

Top right might be Lt. Shiland who was the C.O. before Christie, then became Christie's Adjutant until the summer of 1918.