WWI 99th Aero Squadron Uniform Group

Croix de Guerre

IMPERIAL QUEST
I hope that the forum doesn't kick us off for this over abundance of postings.

What...are you kidding w00t.gif:lol: ??? Your postings over the past week or so have been some of the most astonishing that I have seen. ;)

John Cooper
Croix, Maybe we get'em back together for a 99th Reunion??

Well I can provide space at my house for the reunion! I will even provide all the food and drinks ;)

John

Belleauwood

post-3422-1215812800.jpg

Croix, Ol' Buddy ---- Let's thrown a 10th Balloon Co. Observer

Whadyouthink?? - No -------Well I'll throw a Navy Pilot (multiple kills)

NC group in there if you want.

Navy ,Army, Marines---- Got'er Covered!!!

Belleauwood
Well I can provide space at my house for the reunion! I will even provide all the food and drinks ;)

John

Let's Do it!!

Croix de Guerre

You just couldn't resist could ya'? Your going to have to do a seperate post and explain all this and high light those groups you so carelessly flashed on here like the diamond pinkie ring of a river boat gambler! To those of you reading this, yes we both have ID'd groups from same squadron,,,it's a long story,,,

I can't even find one of these for sale, and I have some of the best dealers in the business with an eye out for me. How did you two find these amazing groupings?

Yank

Croix de Guerre
I can't even find one of these for sale, and I have some of the best dealers in the business with an eye out for me. How did you two find these amazing groupings?

Yank

Luck and money,,I know that sounds flippant but it is the truth. In my case I just happened to be walking by a table at a local show as the dealer was unpacking his boxes. As I walked past he flopped this tunic on the table. A large percentage of collecting is pure luck and having the knowledge and the dough to pull the trigger. As far as BW's 99th uniform,,I'll let him tell the story. I actually found Doran's stuff as I was researching his guy! I was supposed to mail an information packet of my research to him, but decided to wait as I was running late to the show. So, when I found my guy, I had the squadron roster not more than 50 yards away! I had him ID'd inside of ten minutes! Luck, plain and simple.

Well here is the one that slipped through my fingers, a 99th souvineer canvas off the port lower wing of a Salmson 2a2. One of the few pieces in need to finish off my Air Service collection. The guys partner thought it was an actual side panel off a plane, and in turn thought the price should reflect that. Oh well I got to examine it and take photo's so better than nothing. On the canvas you will see an original 99th photo of the buffalo stencil.. Enjoy Paul

post-512-1216171387.jpg

Croix de Guerre
Well here is the one that slipped through my fingers, a 99th souvineer canvas off the port lower wing of a Salmson 2a2. One of the few pieces in need to finish off my Air Service collection. The guys partner thought it was an actual side panel off a plane, and in turn thought the price should reflect that. Oh well I got to examine it and take photo's so better than nothing. On the canvas you will see an original 99th photo of the buffalo stencil.. Enjoy Paul

post-512-1216171387.jpg

I saw that or should I say I've seen that. It doesn't look as purple in person. It's a killer that's for sure! thumbsup.gif

Keep the early aviation groups coming! I love to see them! This group is awesome.

Concerning the buffalo squadron pin, was it cut from a buffalo nickel? I wouldnt be surprised if they made it that way! What does the reverse of the pin look like?

The buffalo design of that pin is an exact duplicate of the reverse of a buffalo nickel.

Kurt

Croix de Guerre
Keep the early aviation groups coming! I love to see them! This group is awesome.

Concerning the buffalo squadron pin, was it cut from a buffalo nickel? I wouldnt be surprised if they made it that way! What does the reverse of the pin look like?

The buffalo design of that pin is an exact duplicate of the reverse of a buffalo nickel.

Kurt

No it it not cut from a buffalo nickel. It was obviously inspired by the back of a buffalo nicklel but I have compared the two side by side. I'm reluctant to show the back side so as to keep the fakers guessing. thumbsup.gif

Croix de Guerre

Here is another example of the buffalo pin shown here worn by 1st Lt. Raymond Noble Estey, Chief Photographic Officer 99th Aero Squadron.

post-3356-1216207891.jpg

Killer grouping, Croix!!!

This is the way I see it! It's out of my historical concern but when I go on that kind of post and stuff!!

I just can salute you all making this post and sharing your collections. Just Amazing!!

Yannick

Croix de Guerre
This is the way I see it! It's out of my historical concern but when I go on that kind of post and stuff!!

I just can salute you all making this post and sharing your collections. Just Amazing!!

Yannick

Yannick, Mon Dieu! Coming from you that is quite a compliment! I was just telling a freind about your wonderful 29th Division artifacts and the great research you have done! Thank you for the kind words! Vive La France, Vive la America, Vive la Notre Ami!