Father (WWII - 101st AB) & Son (VN - USAF) Grouping

MasonK

Very, very nice, these items are still out there and still sadly being thrown away, I spoke to a gentlemen the other day who said they threw out his uncles ww2 uniforms because they felt there was no value in them, some people are only concerned with the value and not what the individual went through,but seeing this makes me smile as the history is being preserved,Pat

Thank you, Gentlemen!

Pat, a shame about the discarded uniforms. Have seen this quite a few times. Have even contacted the family in some instances to have them say they had no interest in reclaiming the items or in discussing their family member.

At the same time, I'm sure there are some family who value their time with their family member beyond that persons service, and therefore have no interest in preserving uniforms, etc.

Opposite of that, while these men should be respected for their service, it doesn't necessarily mean they were well liked individuals. Some family members may not want the memory of that individual.

In both instances, though, I do think the individuals should either sell or donate the items so others can appreciate them.

Posting links to two other threads created for this group so they are all in one place.

Developed Photo Negatives - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/231292-wwii-101st-vet-photo-negatives-developed/

Spoils of War - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/231925-101st-vet-spoils-of-war/

• 3 months later...

The cleaning out the estate were able to locate additional items belonging to both Charles and Walter. Thought I would share.

This should be the last of the grouping, with the exception of a few German books they are holding, that I still need to pay for.

First up, some insignia belonging to Charles.

post-29885-0-41203900-1432143795.jpg

post-29885-0-50309700-1432143782.jpg

I believe this is the pipe he may have used overseas. there were about 10 pipes in total found during the clean-out. This matches closest to the ones in the photos of Wahler overseas.

post-29885-0-33683800-1432144463.jpg

Letter Charles wrote to Readers Digest with an interesting anecdote regarding General Van Fleet (at the time a Colonel).

post-29885-0-59940400-1432144991.jpg