Father (WWII - 101st AB) & Son (VN - USAF) Grouping

MasonK

Searches have been fruitless on both of these patches. Not even sure if they are military related. Any guesses?

post-29885-0-34740600-1432145564.jpg

post-29885-0-24163600-1432145650.jpg

Here are the books that I still need to pickup.

The Waffen book is very interesting as it has all types of foldout, color schematics of German weaponry, etc.

post-29885-0-46103000-1432146148.jpg

post-29885-0-64111500-1432146157.jpg

post-29885-0-78524500-1432146162.jpg

• 6 months later...

Great find. Not much to add to what others have said. The M42 would definitely be my favorite piece in the group and this (below) would be my second. Super rare ID photo (passbild) of an SS panzer officer (wearing officer black wrapper). Not something you see every day.

I am pretty confident this may be Rudolf von Ribbentrop, the son of the Foreign Minister who was hanged at Nuremburg. He served in the 1st and 12th SS Panzer Divisions and was wounded, pretty seriously, at Normandy. He was also the recipient of the Knights Cross. He was good friends with Max Wunsche and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer. His rank in this photo is as an SS-Untersturmfuerher or 2ndLt. Google his name and you'll see the resemblance. An original period photo like this would be pretty valuable.

Nice scores,

Duke

Thanks for the ID, Duke. Side-by-side below. Definitely looks like a spot on match for Ribbentrop.

Also, reverse of photo is dated 1942, so this would match up with his rank as he didn't achieve the rank of SS-Obersturmführer until 1943. Same goes with the absence of the KC, also awarded in 1943.

Based on the dimensions, this would likely have been the photo used in his Soldbuch.

post-29885-0-32649600-1448318488.jpg

post-29885-0-76188200-1448318493.jpg

Thanks for the ID, Duke. Side-by-side below. Definitely looks like a spot on match for Ribbentrop.

Also, reverse of photo is dated 1942, so this would match up with his rank as he didn't achieve the rank of SS-Obersturmführer until 1943. Same goes with the absence of the KC, also awarded in 1943.

Based on the dimensions, this would likely have been the photo used in his Soldbuch.

attachicon.gifComparison.jpg

attachicon.gifReverse.jpg

Sure thing Mason. I'm confident that's your man. I have a lot of photos of his contemporaries from the 1st and 12th, many from the vets themselves. Congrats. It's a rare piece, possibly the most unique item in the group as it's an original photo of him and not the cheesecake press type stuff that was cranked out after he got the Knight's Cross.

• 9 months later...

I am pretty confident this may be Rudolf von Ribbentrop, the son of the Foreign Minister who was hanged at Nuremburg. He served in the 1st and 12th SS Panzer Divisions and was wounded, pretty seriously, at Normandy. He was also the recipient of the Knights Cross. He was good friends with Max Wunsche and Kurt "Panzer" Meyer. His rank in this photo is as an SS-Untersturmfuerher or 2ndLt. Google his name and you'll see the resemblance. An original period photo like this would be pretty valuable.

Nice scores,

Duke

Duke, you are absolutely correct in your identification.

Hi Eric,

Congratulation on these beautiful sets... the extent of the father's grouping is just unbelievable, I've been hopping on to the other links you have posted, and it is pure gold!!

Thank you very much for sharing it wit us! Keep up the great work, I suspect a few of us will follow you ;)

JEB

Thanks, gentlemen! Even after 2 years, I still stare at this grouping in awe. Frequently looking through the binders of letters, photos and other ephemera.

attachicon.gif Comparison.jpg

attachicon.gif Reverse.jpg

I just googled this veteran. Is it true that he is still alive? Would be interesting to see if he remembered how this GI got his photo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_von_Ribbentrop

Thanks, gentlemen! Even after 2 years, I still stare at this grouping in awe. Frequently looking through the binders of letters, photos and other ephemera.

I would be too!