15th & 17th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron Shoulder patches

cavcon

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

post-5583-0-46885800-1528739497.jpgI am researching a friends father's WWII history and one of the artifacts in his box was German made 17th Cavalry Recon Squadron patch (bullet shaped)

As a follow-up to my earlier post 13 months ago, I provided the Vet's daughter paperwork to submit to the Military Archives in St. Louis for her fathers record. The records show that he was transferred to the 17th Cav Rcn in June 1946 from the 740th "DAREDEVIL" Armor group. In addition, she brought back several items inside a box that included several items. These included several patches from the 17th Cav Rcn as well as patches from the 740th Armor. I am attaching photos of said patches and DUIs. Also providing a shot of the 740th Armor patches.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 1/17/2020 at 10:11 PM, OttoGator said:

I have a helmet with the 15th painted on it.

Hi.  

Do you still have the helmet with the 15th cavalry patch/crest painted on it?

thanks.   

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2014 at 9:56 PM, cavcon said:

HI Phill: Thanks for your reply... I do agree with all that you said including how the Keller's put a lot of effort in to their books. I have them and think they are great books.

Steve: In talking to many old 15th and 17th vets, the reason for the 2 patches was that once the 15th Group landed in Normandy in mid July the 2 squadrons almost immediately broke apart and were attached to different divisions, corps and armies throughout the rest of the war. The 17th Squadron wanted their own patch but wanted to keep the lineage and heritage of the 15th Group so they just changed the shape of the patch to denote their individuality.

After the war ended both squadrons and the group became district constabulary units but both were now connected by Group Headquarters and had the same mission. Once the Constabulary became operational the 15th Group and 15th Squadron became regular Constabulary units. The 17th did not and became "palace guard" for the 3rd Army Headquarters in and around Heidelberg Germany. It was at this time that the 17th Squadron broke away totally from the 15th Group and had their own coat of arms made and changed the shape of the patch to match the coat of arms. I have added a photo of the COA below. You will see how the 2 are the same shape. Again, this is because the 17th Squadron no longer had any direct affiliation with the 15th Cavalry. The bullet patch and the crest both were last worn in January 1947.

Hope this helps some but feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

post-20824-0-11631400-1419562574.jpg

Not true, the 15th & 17th worked together from 1 Aug 1944 - end of April 1945. As stated by the pdf I downloaded about the history of the 15th Cav. Group. They did not break apart almost immediately.

Just now, JrBfloNY said:

Not true, the 15th & 17th worked together from 1 Aug 1944 - end of April 1945. As stated by the pdf I downloaded about the history of the 15th Cav. Group. They did not break apart almost immediately.

Screenshot_20231003-185756.png

Not sure if you believe everything you read but I have researched the 15th & 17th for well over 30 years and was personal friends with the group commander, a 17th staff officer and several troop commanders from both squadrons and they said that the 2 squadrons rarely saw each other as they were attached to different divisions and corps throughout the war.   I tend to believe actual accounts than something someone who wasn’t there wrote.   Just like their patches.  If you believe everything you read the patches for the 17 are always labeled as the 15 and the 15th cavalry group patch is always incorrectly labeled as the 15th cavalry regiment.  So I respectfully disagree with your “not true” but to each their own.