WW2 Knife Bring Back

Screamingeagles101

What does it say above " Made in India"? Also, do you know what division your great uncle was in? In any event, if it was your great uncle's knife, that what's important, regardless of whether it's military or otherwise. Nice knife.

What does it say above " Made in India"? Also, do you know what division your great uncle was in? In any event, if it was your great uncle's knife, that what's important, regardless of whether it's military or otherwise. Nice knife.

Looks to be "Tempered Steel"...

Screamingeagles101

I believe it does say "tempered steel"

I do not know what unit he was in. All I know is he fought the Japanese and on one pic, it shows him in the Philippines wearing "captured Japanese gear" in 1945.

Like I said, I do not know much about foreign knives, however, this one seems too well made and is actually very heavy for a "souvenir" IMO.

I wish there was more info on these blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a little history of the knife.There is a lot of information on the webb these days on them.Take time to read it and learn.Out of all the articles you will get a blend of the knifes history.Just because a knife is"heavy" doesnt mean its a issue item or not a "replica".The company Bud K sells new made kukris for $19.99.There are others selling for $49.99 touted to be of the best quality "tempered steel".Tempering steel is a process in the manufacturing of the item and this isnt a phrase they put on original vintage knives......period.Also the ones issued or used by Ghurkas would not have "Made in India" on them.It would be like a WW2 German dagger with "made in Pakistan" stamped on it.

As stated it is what it is and it was in the family.How it came there may be lost to time or memory.

http://www.khukuriknife.com/khukuri_history.htm

Screamingeagles101

Here is a little history of the knife.There is a lot of information on the webb these days on them.Take time to read it and learn.Out of all the articles you will get a blend of the knifes history.Just because a knife is"heavy" doesnt mean its a issue item or not a "replica".The company Bud K sells new made kukris for $19.99.There are others selling for $49.99 touted to be of the best quality "tempered steel".Tempering steel is a process in the manufacturing of the item and this isnt a phrase they put on original vintage knives......period.Also the ones issued or used by Ghurkas would not have "Made in India" on them.It would be like a WW2 German dagger with "made in Pakistan" stamped on it.

As stated it is what it is and it was in the family.How it came there may be lost to time or memory.

http://www.khukuriknife.com/khukuri_history.htm

Thanks for the article. I do agree, this knife is probably a post war tourist souveneir.

It might also be worth mentioning that the Gurhkas were Nepalese; I'd imagine their khukuris would've been made in Nepal, and not India.

That is what I was eludung too ("Also the ones issued or used by Ghurkas would not have "Made in India on them")and can be gained from reading the history posted on the knives.One current manufacturer in Nepal imports the steel from India in raw form to be made into the kukris.Here is one of them.They offer new made knives and the history and other info can be accessed in clicking on the links in the site.

http://www.khukuriblades.com/kukri_making/

Screamingeagles101

That is what I was eludung too ("Also the ones issued or used by Ghurkas would not have "Made in India on them")and can be gained from reading the history posted on the knives.One current manufacturer in Nepal imports the steel from India in raw form to be made into the  kukris.Here is one of them.They offer new made knives and the history and other info can be accessed in clicking on the links in the site.

http://www.khukuriblades.com/kukri_making/

My Uncle acquired the knife from my great Uncle 32 years ago, so the least we know is that the knife is pretty old and was not made currently. I still can't figure out, why My great Uncle Charlie would make this story up. I'm going to give my other great Uncle a call (Great Uncle Charlie's brother) He is 95 years old and still has all his memory, hopefully he can tell me about the knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Chinese Dao (sword0 that was brought back from the Phillipines by an Army medic.He took two of them off of Japanese soldiers after a Banzai charge was turned away and they wre sarchingthe dead..I also have another Dao that was given to a neighbor right after WW2 when he was a boy as a gift fom a returning vet.Things were picked up by opposing armys and used.At the end of WW2 General Wainwrights sword an Colt ingle action revolvr ere recovered from a Japanese officer who "aquired" them at the time of Wainwright surrender.

Good luck tracking down the story but often these things get clouded even with immidiate family.