WW2 Knife Bring Back

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

Yesterday I received the greatest Christmas gift I ever have gotten. As my Uncle pulled this knife out of his dresser, he was in tears. The story is this knife belonged to my great Uncle Charlie who I unfortunately never got to meet. I don't know much about home except that he fought against the Japanese in WW2 and he pulled the knife off of a dead Japanese soldier. Thing is, I thought this these knifes were distributed to British Soldiers. Can this story be correct ?

I know for a fact he fought in the Philippines in 1945 because there is a pic of him that says it. It's my understanding that these knives were used in the CBI Campaign ?

Can some one please tell more about the knife and how my great Uncle could have possibly ended up with it. Could the story be true ? Who were these knives issued to ?

Thanks.

post-2-0-03289200-1419545141.jpg

post-2-0-47425700-1419545139.jpg

post-2-0-72702600-1419545142.jpg

post-2-0-08917600-1419545144.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screamingeagles101

I'm not sure why the pics don't work, can someone please upload them properly ?

I will be very Thankful !

USCapturephotos

I always thought these were India Ghurka knives. It could have been a battlefield pickup first by the Japanese soldier who then lost it to your relative. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Paul

Screamingeagles101

I always thought these were India Ghurka knives. It could have been a battlefield pickup first by the Japanese soldier who then lost it to your relative. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Paul

You can view the pics ?

& that's a good point, I didn't think of that.

Thanks !

these were A common souvenir and even some were used by those who served in the CBI theater.I have spoken to several vets who either traded or purchased one while in country. One of the local veterans here was a parachute rigger or packer for a group over there. On occasion when he did fly on a C 47 he would carry one of these. I saw pictures of him in his Tenth Air Force photo album and he had one hanging off his pistol belt.

Screamingeagles101

these were A common souvenir and even some were used by those who served in the CBI theater.I have spoken to several vets who either traded or purchased one while in country. One of the local veterans here was a parachute rigger or packer for a group over there. On occasion when he did fly on a C 47 he would carry one of these. I saw pictures of him in his Tenth Air Force photo album and he had one hanging off his pistol belt.

I don't know much about these knives, but the way it sounds is that they were quite desirable. Can you give me a rough estimate of it's value ?

Just for the record, I would never part with it.

Screamingeagles101

It's a Ghurka alright, I agree with the "double souvenir" idea, very interesting!

I thought they were called Kukri ?

Screamingeagles101

I am unable to view photos.

Not sure why some can view and some can't .

I will try reposting them later.

Sorry.

Garth Thompson

Not sure why some can view and some can't .

I will try reposting them later.

Sorry.

Please upload your photos directly to the forum using the attach files function. Links to

external photo hosting sites are blocked on this forum.

I edited the photos: here's a thread on using tapatalk to upload photos - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/220651-swap-meet-finds/?p=1807426

As for value: there are variations in this, from ones made for actual Ghurka army use, to ones made for souvenirs. Do a google search for khukuri knives to get an idea of where yours fits in.

Screamingeagles101

I edited the photos: here's a thread on using tapatalk to upload photos - http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/220651-swap-meet-finds/?p=1807426

Thanks a lot !

I'm on the app "tapatalk" not sure if this this disrupts the photo uploading process.

Thanks again and merry Christmas.

Screamingeagles101

Havent seen a war time one with made in India.This is more of an export marking.

What do you mean by "export" marking ?

What do you mean by "export" marking ?

I agree with him: that is the kind of mark you'd expect to see on one made for sale outside of India. The ones used by the Ghurka troops likely would not have any marks.

Your best bet for determining value may well be finding another with this exact same wording in the mark.

Screamingeagles101

I agree with him: that is the kind of mark you'd expect to see on one made for sale outside of India. The ones used by the Ghurka troops likely would not have any marks. 

Your best bet for determining value may well be finding another with this exact same wording in the mark.

I'll try doing some more research when I get home. What do you think of the story ? Is it possible, this knife could have been taken off of a dead Japanese soldier ?

I know for a fact, one of the battles my great uncle fought in was the battle for the Philippines 1945. There is a picture of him holding a Japanese rifle and wearing Japanese gear. And it says on the back "me wearing some captured japanese gear, Philippines 1945".

Thanks.

Screamingeagles101

Knife looks to be one of the souvenir or tourist model.It is not a Military issue model.

These "souvenir models" still made there way to combat ?

I cannot answer that for sure.A Gurkha would not carry the knife pictured...the military models usually have a green painted sheath...and as said broad arrow marked with a number or letter of the alphabet. I think the made in in India marking could date this later than WWII. I believe this pictured knife will fit in Civilian/Souvenir/Tourist category.

Wouldn't that knive be one of the ones imported into the US in the 60's through the 80's? You used to see these a lot at flea markets when I was a kid in the 80's. I remember a lot of them had the tempered steel made in India mark,

Kurt