A GI's Christmas in Glascow, Scotland

Ngrovcam

Glascow Scotland- December 24th, 1944

PFC Raymond Cammaroto had been in Edinburg Scotland since he shipped over with the US Army's 751st MP Battalion in June. After a chess game gone wrong where his Lieutenant asked ray's honest opinion and that of various men...the reply was frank "We think your Chicken Sh*t" and a 4am truck to the US Infantry School at Tidsworth British Army Barracks ray was about to enjoy his first Christmas away from Cobble Hill in Brooklyn, NY before he shipped to "the big show across the drink." While the men in bastogn replied "nuts" and fought frozen ray was warming up enough for them in Glascow....drinks all around with his fellow AWOLees from his old post and drinks all around again! Such is a GI's Christmas Eve in '44.

My grandfather was the best man anyone will know gents, he gives a whole new meaning even from 2 years after his passing to "I'll be Home for Christmas" he's always here....enjoy your Christmas gentlemen and remember to thank a God for your families with you.

-Nick Cammaroto

Mods please move to veteran recollections: sorry, even at 17 I have a hard time figuring out smart phone usage on the forum! Contrary to popular belief being 17 years old does not give me technological wizard like powers haha