New addition from a BIN on eBay, 4th Army 518th MP Bn helmet

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

Just picked up this great painted 4th Army, 518th MP BN painted helmet. It popped up on eBay as a BIN in the surplus section and I jumped on it for $80. It showed up today and I have to say I think it looks 100 times better in hand then in the original auctions pictures. Haven't done any research on the unit yet, so can't tell much about them. I would appreciate any history that could be provided. My guess is its a late WWII produced SB rear seam shell with Vietnam era painted markings. If you look close at the shell, you can see the markings and shell were carefully painted over at one time.

The helmet came with a torn up WWII liner and a 1968 dated headband tied to the helmet loops, but never put in the liner. My guess would be the liner and headband were just added as a filler? I put a 1952 dated complete liner in the shell for display purposes.

Many pictures to follow

Thanks Troy

post-33000-0-58938300-1419455458.jpg post-33000-0-82158400-1419455471.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Here is a good detailed picture showing the careful repaint of the markings and adding the darker OD paint of the shell. It's obvious the shell was used always as a 518th unit helmet.

post-33000-0-29441200-1419455793.jpg post-33000-0-57006800-1419455822.jpg

This Helmet would have to date from 1966-1970-72, at Fort Hood, a Army level Troop unit, 4th Army was in overall command of Hood, 4th Army then being HQed at down at Fort Sam Houston.

https://books.google.com/books?id=zhiAkDKqQX0C&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=518th+Military+Police+Battalion&source=bl&ots=IjGYwZEJhm&sig=caCS25Iq9CjoYyRHZBzuHdh4rQM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=v4GbVK7GKYSlNuzGgLgK&ved=0CEAQ6AEwCzgK#v=onepage&q=518th%20Military%20Police%20Battalion&f=false

Burning Hazard

Question. Is the right side supposed to be for a divisional or regimental insignia?

I saw this helmet but the right side is empty:

NH2A.jpg

NH2C.jpg

Question. Is the right side supposed to be for a divisional or regimental insignia?

I saw this helmet but the right side is empty:

NH2A.jpg

NH2C.jpg

From what I found the 268th was an MP Company, rather then a Battalion, it had for a few years been the MP componant of the old National Guard 30th Armored Division. It was of the Tennessee National Guard, and it's patch was the 30th Armored Division with the VOLUNTEERS tab.

So perhaps it at one time had a 30th Armd Div decal, that was scraped off ?

Gotta love those buy it nows! Really great piece, congrats.

is it really worth any more than 80 bucks???

a painted helmet from the US in 1972?

-Brian

USMC-RECON0321

heres the link Troy...not sure if its going to be helpfull for this particular helmet though!...mike

http://home.mweb.co.za/re/redcap/vietnam.htm

This Helmet would have to date from 1966-1970-72, at Fort Hood, a Army level Troop unit, 4th Army was in overall command of Hood, 4th Army then being HQed at down at Fort Sam Houston.

https://books.google.com/books?id=zhiAkDKqQX0C&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=518th+Military+Police+Battalion&source=bl&ots=IjGYwZEJhm&sig=caCS25Iq9CjoYyRHZBzuHdh4rQM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=v4GbVK7GKYSlNuzGgLgK&ved=0CEAQ6AEwCzgK#v=onepage&q=518th%20Military%20Police%20Battalion&f=false

Thanks for the information and links guys.

USMC-RECON0321

is it really worth any more than 80 bucks???

a painted helmet from the US in 1972?

-Brian

Well, I guess that comes down to what you collect and as the old saying goes, it's worth what someone is willing to pay. I personally think it was a great buy, for a helmet you don't see to often. But to someone who only sees value in WWII helmets, they might not think so. I jumped on it, because it fits in my collection of the "U.S. Helmet" from WW1 to Vietnam eras. So it wasn't purchased for resale, but I don't think I would have any problem selling it for more if I needed to.

But then again Brian, you seem fairly new to this forum and most posts I see of yours tend to be on the negative side of things.

Troy,

Call me a realist. It was an honest question. People were saying/acting like it was a great score for that price and I honestly didn't know if it was.

And yes, in the helmet forum my posts are quite negative as I can't believe some of the stuff these guys think is real..... Sorry but that's my opinion on the current U.S. Helmet 'scene'.

-Brian

Troy,

Call me a realist. It was an honest question. People were saying/acting like it was a great score for that price and I honestly didn't know if it was.

And yes, in the helmet forum my posts are quite negative as I can't believe some of the stuff these guys think is real..... Sorry but that's my opinion on the current U.S. Helmet 'scene'.

-Brian

Brian,

Since you have opened this discussion again, could you provide examples of what leaves you in disbelief? I am genuinely curious and would really like to know why.

Troy,

Great shell, I really love these painted Vietnam era MPs. Well worth $80!

USMC-RECON0321

Troy,

-Brian

Brian,

That's fine to give an honest opinion, I think we all want that, but as you will see from most experienced collectors when they don't like something, they try and explain what it is they don't like. In other words support your opinion. Anyone can get on a thread and yell "Fake" with nothing to support their reasoning, which doesn't help anything.

(Hopefully the below does not come across condescending, not meant to be, but you know how things can come across in text only)

Or like in the case of this thread, you jumped in asking if $80 is really a good price for a helmet painted in the 70's? Now don't get me wrong, I don't think I hit the Jackpot either, but a good buy, Yes. And I'm fine with your opinion, but it seems you are digging on every helmet you post on with no supporting information, just negative statements. Also, I'm confident in my buying decisions, but your statement alone tells me you're not really active in helmet collecting (buying / selling) currently or even for several years. The prices on "original" marked / painted U.S. Helmets of any era have really jumped and especially of the Vietnam Era, including marked covers and painted MP Helmets. Now keep in mind, I'm talking about the sales of helmets between collectors or properly listed on auctions sites for collectors to compete for. We all understand you can still get lucky now and then and find them for pennies on the dollar at garage sales, flea markets, local in house auctions, estate sales etc. but that can't be figured in as "Fair market value".

Hope this helps answer your question

Troy

Nice grab troy...well worth 80 bucks! Brian, as a fellow Iowan, I would love to see your collection, any plans on posting some examples?

Wade

Troy,

-Brian

Brian, this is getting a little old. If you think someone paid too much, fine but, since Troy did not ask if anyone thought he paid too much(which he didn't) then you don't have to rain on his picnic. Let's discuss this helmet with substantive and not opinionated posts.

• 3 years later...

I have a 5th Army(Previously 4th Army)518th MP helmet myself, I got it as just a shell, but paired it with a 5th Army liner I had lurking around. Nice to see another one.

post-1940-0-97230200-1516654706.jpg

post-1940-0-35395600-1516654799.jpg