WW1 State Medals

kbulow

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if North Dakota issued a State medal to it's WW1 veterans ? If they did what does it look like, or did city's or towns issue medals?

Regards,

Kerry

No North Dakota state medal. There are, however, several local medals and lapels pins. They are rather hard to find though.

Keith

Hello Keith,

Thanks for this, I have a nice medal and badge group to a Colonel who served on the Mexican Boarder and WW1. It came with a ribbon bar that I don't know what it is, thought it may have been for WW1, then it may have only been issued as a ribbon bar, not sure. I've attached a photo in case knows what it is.

Regards,

Kerry

post-7278-0-52611100-1419397835.jpg

Who was he? Do you know if he served on the Border as a Federal Troop or as a member of the State Guard? The ribbon bar and device do not look familiar. You may be able to track him through Geoff at Golden Arrow Research

I just found my book on State and local Medals. No State medal, looks like 7 local medals ( Fargo, Fessenden, Golden Valley-Beach, Nelson County, Ransom County, Sheyenne and Valley City). I know that Traill County gave out a lapel button (I have my Great Uncles). Have a particular interest in North Dakota....was born and raised there.

I am presently reassembling a medal group for a BGen that was in the Indian Wars (have the medal), Cuban Occupation (Looking), Phil Ins (have the medal) Spanish War Service (looking), and Mexican Border Service (Looking). you can see his DSC here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/223682-my-ww1-dsc/

Keith

Keith

Hello Keith,

His name is Colonel Barney Boyd, he was born in Willmar , Minn in 1873. He enlisted in Company L, 1st Infantry North Dakota National Guard at Hillsboro on the 29th Oct 1898. He was promoted Cpl Jan 1899, Sgt June 1899, Commissioned 1st Lieut May 1901, Captain Nov 1901. He was called into federal service on 19th June 1916 for Mexican border duty, serving there till 1917 , then returned to National Guard Status. Called up for WW1 he was promoted Major and was assigned to the 164th Infantry serving in France. He was awarded a French Ordre de L'Etoile Noire (Officer) and was discharged on the 7th Oct 1919.

I purchased this in two separate lots on E-Bay, I have only just won a National Guard Medal which was awarded to him, this is on its way from the US now. If your interested in groups from North Dakota I think this group would interest you. His son also served in WW1, with the Machine Corps Battalion and also with his father in the 164th Infantry. Real interesting family, his father was a Civil War Vet and I think about four of his brothers served in WW1, one was a Reverend.

Let me know what you think.

Kerry

post-7278-0-74708100-1419407150.jpg

This is the National Guard Medal I'm currently waiting for, I only just won this item on E-Bay from the same seller, may have payed two much for it however really wanted to keep it all togeather

post-7278-0-29696700-1419407286.jpg

Really nice group, I missed that one, it would have been fun to research

Send me your email...I copied his entry from The Official Roster of North Dakota Soldiers, Sailors and Marines, but it's too big to post. If you send me his number from the Border Medal I should be able to copy his Proof of issue from Gleim's book. Geoff might be able to track down some other research for you.

Keith

Hello Keith

First of all Merry Christmas, I have only just started using Geoff for researching and I have sent other people for him to research at the moment, then I'll send him this one. The Mexican Border medal is numbered 9480 and traces to Colonel Boyd. I have some of Gleim's books including the Mexican Border Medal roll. Its a very interesting family which I need to get the time to research, only just touched on this at the moment, any information would be appreciated, my e-mail is [email protected]

Regards,

Kerry

• 5 weeks later...

I was interested in reading this thread. I live in North Dakota and always keep my eye out for North Dakota items. I just wanted to share my recent find with you guys.

post-104779-0-38949000-1421974921.jpg

Fred Borgmann

Hello Keith,

Thanks for this, I have a nice medal and badge group to a Colonel who served on the Mexican Boarder and WW1. It came with a ribbon bar that I don't know what it is, thought it may have been for WW1, then it may have only been issued as a ribbon bar, not sure. I've attached a photo in case knows what it is.

Regards,

Kerry

35 Year Service ribbon from the N.D. National Guard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 12/24/2014 at 3:25 AM, kbulow said:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if North Dakota issued a State medal to it's WW1 veterans ? If they did what does it look like, or did city's or towns issue medals?

Regards,

Kerry

As mentioned before, ND did not issue a state medal, but in his book Louis Small lists 6 towns/counties in ND that issued a WW1 service medal. In brackets is his estimate of how many were issued:

Fargo (905)

Fessenden (30)

Golden Valley Co. Beach (46)

Ransom County (479)

Sheyenne (8)

Valley City (193)

I think given the numbers here (apart from maybe Fargo), these are rare and are going to be really difficult to get hold of....

Happy Hunting!

Rob