*Rough* Schlueter Helmet Date & Configuration Chart

Grant G.

ADMIN NOTE: after discussing this with Grant, he has informed me that the chart is still a work in progress. I am pinning it as a reference but, all should be aware that it is not a perfect chart. Scott (Bugme)

Schlueter produced 2,000,000 steel shells during WWII and I feel as though I have looked at every single one the past few days. Below, in the attached images, are my findings regarding Schlueter produced helmets, their lot numbers, loop variation, seam placement, rim construction, and chinstrap configuration. I have filled in with red text the common dates attributed to characteristic changes such as, the transition from front to rear seam, fixed loops to swivel loops, etc. As for lot 199A, this lot precedes December 1943 due to its participation in a metallurgical examination that took place at that time. This chart is by no means set in stone; it is definitely possible that their are helmets out there that would alter transition dates, however I can assure you that the helmets below were included with much scrutiny. If a configuration seemed suspect, I would not add it without seeing photos. If I was unable to tell whether the straps were OD#3 or just really faded OD#7 it didn't get included. I made no assumptions regarding lot numbers, if it was not perfectly clear it did not get added. That being said, if you have a helmet that meets the criteria and is not already on the chart, please by all means post your findings. To keep the thread clean please do not post duplicates. If anyone would like the chart in Microsoft Excel format feel free to email me at [email protected] and I will gladly send you over a file so you can update it as you wish. Thank you to everyone for your contributions in making this chart possible and happy holidays! ;)

post-11015-0-08287600-1419371676.jpg

Who had the 10A? I'd love to see that one

That one belonged to an eBay seller by the name man_of_java. I found his helmet through worthpoint.com, however the photo of the lot number was no longer available, so I ended up messaging him to see if he still had it on file. Thankfully he did!

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/army-wwii-m1-helmet-fixed-bail-469679387

post-11015-0-00376900-1419374080.png

Nice job. Some quick arithmetic suggests that there were roughly 3,500 blanks per lot if your last recorded lot number is close to the end.

Thank you, I do know Schlueter didn't really get into a rhythm until 1944 when they made 1,398,995 helmets out of their total 2 million. So it most likely wasn't an even distribution of helmets per lot; the 1944 lots were probably much larger.

I suspect the size of the lots of blanks from Sharon Steel remained fairly constant. Each Schlueter lot number corresponds to a single heat from Sharon Steel.

Burning Hazard

Before this thread gets buried, I would like to petition for this to be pinned on top.

I think it's great reference put together by the Steel and Kevlar Helmets team that many new collectors to the Schlueter world could use (and expand) in the future.

Pat

• 3 years later...

Great reference! Out of the 4 Schlueter shells I have, only one has the straps. It is lot 323A, which has OD#3 straps, flat steel buckles, and LOOKS to be a stainless rim (is it possible to have different rims within a lot?). Anyone else have any variations from the above chart?

Andrew

Great reference! Out of the 4 Schlueter shells I have, only one has the straps. It is lot 323A, which has OD#3 straps, flat steel buckles, and LOOKS to be a stainless rim (is it possible to have different rims within a lot?).

Andrew, there are a couple other examples around the 320 mark in which both manganese and stainless steel was used as rim material within the same lot number. This was likely a transitional period for Schlueter, using up old stock while introducing the new. Thanks to Bugme for pinning this topic! For those who have examples not detailed on the chart, please send me photos!

Pic #3

post-179495-0-63547000-1526165083_thumb.jpg

If you also need a picture of the lot # I could try. It is a light strike and a bit difficult to see, especially with a camera.

I also have other Schlueter shells, but none with straps. #s 408A: manganese rim, front seam, swivel bail. And # 387A: manganese rim, front seam, swivel bail. And a # 375A which matches the chart.

I did however refinish at least one, and I believe the other has a Korean era dark OD with sand texture.

Andrew

Pic #3

IMG_20180512_133323-994x453.jpg

If you also need a picture of the lot # I could try. It is a light strike and a bit difficult to see, especially with a camera.

I also have other Schlueter shells, but none with straps. #s 408A: manganese rim, front seam, swivel bail. And # 387A: manganese rim, front seam, swivel bail. And a # 375A which matches the chart.

I did however refinish at least one, and I believe the other has a Korean era dark OD with sand texture.

Andrew

Actually the Lot number is what is most needed and a photo offers proof. To everyone, post the Lot number and include the Schlueter "S" in your photo's. Thanks!

• 1 month later...