D-Day Paratrooper Historical Center - new building in 2015

Easy502

There will be a new large building at the D-Day Paratrooper Historical Center in June 2015. But above all, a bit of history.

Normandy, France, 6 June 1944. It is only just 00:15 when the American paratroopers of the 101st Airborne Division of General Maxwell D. Taylor parachute over the Normandy, thus becoming the first soldiers to reach the French territory; their main mission is to capture Carentan. This town is defended by the elite of the German troops, the paratroopers of Major von der Heydte, the Green Devils of the 6th Fallschirmjäger Regiment.

The Germans are entrenched in Saint-Côme-du-Mont, the last bastion before Carentan. They have the order to defend the town until their last man dies. It is crucial for the Americans to capture Carentan as quick as possible. They are waiting for the support of the light tanks of the 70th Battalion that landed in Utah Beach. The road from the beach is the only way they can go.

It comes from the beach, passes through Sainte-Marie-du-Mont and ends half way on the road Carentan/Saint-Côme-du-Mont, at a crossroads named since then the « Dead Mans Corner by the Americans.

A sole house stands at this crossroads; it is used by the German paratroopers as headquarters, then as aid post. The Dead Mans Corner Museum is located in this very building, in the highly historical place of Saint-Côme-du-Mont.

Indeed, the house of the Dead Mans Corner has been acquired by the Carentan Historical Center and turned into a museum. During the first development phase of the D-Day Paratroopers Historical Center, it has gathered within this historical building an impressive and authentic collection of material used by the American and German paratroopers, related to this legendary site.

A new building named D-Day Experience will be inaugurated next June....

More to follow.

post-5164-0-08836200-1419338518.jpg

D-Day Paratrooper Historical Center

2 village de l'amont

50500 Saint-Côme-du-Mont

Normandie - France

http://www.paratrooper-museum.org/en/index.html

• 4 weeks later...

I hope to visit someday. A quick question, what will be in the new building, the same stuff because the other building got full or something else?

-Dave

I am also curious to what they will do in the new building, when writing "experience center" is it experience as: try to be paratrooper for a day and it is with different "experience room" like the 101 Airborne center they have done (Well done) in Bastogne ?

Willys44, did you see the Greatest Generation exhibit in the temporary building in the field behind the DMC museum this June? If you did, you will have some idea of the kind of center that it will be when finished, plus more...

This certainly looks like it's going to be a great new addition to the Carentan Historical Centre's project. Can't wait to visit in June.

Regards,

Ben.

Cant wait to see the final outcome of this D-Day Experience.. If anything is to go by:: The Greatest Generation Exhibit 2014

behind D.M.C in St-Come-Du-Mont, Last June was Absolutely Amazing it was Top Quality I was Highly Impressed with it all..!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Johan Willaert

Visited the new exhibits last weekend...

Definitely worth visiting! The pre-D-Day briefing and simulated C47 flight are amazing and only a small part of the exhibition which features fantastic items!

Simply WOW!

Normandy1944

I also visited Normandy last weekend, but I didn't visit any museum, only the commemorations.

However, I'm going back with my family in July and I'm definetely going to visit the new exhibition.

I can't wait to see it!

Visited the new exhibits last weekend...

Definitely worth visiting! The pre-D-Day briefing and simulated C47 flight are amazing and only a small part of the exhibition which features fantastic items!

Simply WOW!

Johan Willaert

A couple of teaser pictures...

The new building

post-92-0-53514300-1434280564.jpg

Col Moseley's M41 Suit

post-92-0-67285800-1434280607.jpg

IKE's A2 Jacket

post-92-0-56448900-1434280627.jpg

82AB Pathfinder Camo'ed M42 Suit

post-92-0-34032700-1434280660.jpg

Full 502PIR Kit

post-92-0-26544300-1434280702.jpg

Johan Willaert

C47 Stoy Hora

post-92-0-50129000-1434280793.jpg

Inside C47

post-92-0-86624600-1434280814.jpg

Col Krebs and Stoy Hora Crew Display

post-92-0-86993200-1434280833.jpg

Waco Glider Display

post-92-0-28894200-1434280877.jpg

Troop Carrier A2s

post-92-0-22318000-1434280908.jpg

Hi

I cannot wait to visit Normandy in the near future to experience it for myself...

But credit where credit is due a huge well done must go to you, Michel and the rest of the team invloved in the extension of the museum, the work you guys has done has really raised the "realism" bar and put most state run museums in the UK and alot of Europe to shame.

It is still great to see "collectors" building museums how they should be built, not being constrained by the "lottery grant trusts" who put more importance on the interactive side of the museum over realism and historical accuracy.

Thank You for Preserving Normandy's History...

Regards

Tom

Thanks Tom for your comment. Please let me know when you want to come and visit the museum, I will be happy to meet you.

Attached photo of the building, taken today.

Thanks,

Emmanuel

post-5164-0-25123400-1435090405.jpg

Thanks Johan.

Concerning the first floor, not before 2017. We have to finish the first part and then to work at DMC !!

Cheers.