Robbins (C. H. Robbins) Co. of Attleboro, MA: Examples and Patterns

@haw68 Heath,

I don't use this one much:  Wow!

More importantly than the wow-factor, you answered a key question.  "When."  Which leads me to ask:  Of the dies you have, would you be willing to share their dates if known?

For not generally being a "wings guy" you certainly are becoming a major contributor to the hobby! 

Chris

32 minutes ago, cwnorma said:

More importantly than the wow-factor, you answered a key question.  "When."

Yes, I will provide details on other items as I get a chance.  When available, stamping dies and company records from the manufactures that used them offer a wealth of information that provides valuable provenance information about the items they produced.  How often have collectors wanted to know when an item was manufactured, how many were manufactured, what metal, finish, or attaching mechanism was used???  So often these records and artifacts have been thrown away and lost to history.  I'm doing what I can to seek out, salvage, and preserve this type of information/artifacts.

I consider stamping dies an original work of art and the items they produced are copies of this original.  Similar to an original Picasso painting vs a poster copy.  Especially so for the ones that were hand-engraved.  It often took a highly skilled artisan days to weeks depending on complexity of design to engrave a single die.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have this very small pilot wing that's 1''1/2 lenght it took a little time looking up the silver marks i believe it's by charles m. robbins

003.JPG

004.JPG

002.JPG

Basic Rifleman
15 minutes ago, Sequatchiee said:

World war II era ?

I think that Robbins makers mark pre-dates WWII... I'm not a wing expert, but I believe this piece dates to the 1920's or 30's. 

2 hours ago, Basic Rifleman said:

I think that Robbins makers mark pre-dates WWII... I'm not a wing expert, but I believe this piece dates to the 1920's or 30's. 

i looked up some knowledgeable sites charles m. robbins was a precursor to the Robbins co. 1892-1920s i only seen one just like mine but they don't give the price sold.

I have this example of the same 1-1/2" pattern wing from Robbins, but mine has the later Robbins Co Attleboro hallmark.  This one is actually gold finished, although my photography is still not showing the true gold color of the wing.

RIMG4592.JPG

RIMG4595.JPG

hallmark.JPG

2 hours ago, 5thwingmarty said:

I have this example of the same 1-1/2" pattern wing from Robbins, but mine has the later Robbins Co Attleboro hallmark.  This one is actually gold finished, although my photography is still not showing the true gold color of the wing.

RIMG4592.JPG

RIMG4595.JPG

hallmark.JPG

WOW they kept the same pattern after the CMR symbols to robbins co. thanks for showing this marty

Glad to be able to add to the discussion.  I know Robbins had Naval Aviator wings in WWI that were marked with the CMR symbols, and then continued to offer wings in the same patterns that were marked with the later word hallmarks.  I am not aware of any known examples of full-size Adams-pattern Pilot wings with the old CMR symbols, just ones with the word hallmarks.

14 minutes ago, 5thwingmarty said:

Glad to be able to add to the discussion.  I know Robbins had Naval Aviator wings in WWI that were marked with the CMR symbols, and then continued to offer wings in the same patterns that were marked with the later word hallmarks.  I am not aware of any known examples of full-size Adams-pattern Pilot wings with the old CMR symbols, just ones with the word hallmarks.

i notice they made dinner service ware, brooches chains and some military medals

s-l300.jpg

s-l300 (2).jpg

Here is a WWI Pilot wing with the CMR symbols.  Note that in this wing the first diamond appears to have the letters CMR while in your wing the diamond looks to just have an R.

Robbins WWI front.JPG

Robbins WWI rear.JPG

Robbins WWI hallmark.JPG

This image was taken from a Robbins Trophies catalog in the collection of the Missouri Historical Society.  The catalog is not dated, but there is an item in the catalog that displays the year 1922 so I presume the catalog dates to the early to mid-1920's.  So by this time, Robbins appears to have started using just the letter R in the first block, but had not switches to using the spelled out name on their items.  The catalog did also have this one page of military badges that were available.

Robbins catalog page.jpg

Robbins catalog qualification badges.jpg

Basic Rifleman

Just when you thought your early USMC shooting badge collection was nearing its completion, you find out CMR made an entire 1920's line of badges you've never seen early back marks for😱 Aside from the sharpshooter posted above, does anyone else have any of the badges pictured with the early CMR makers marks? I've had several with the spelled out makers mark, but these others appear to be rather uncommon. Also, sorry to take this a bit off topic....

wwi-era-s-army-usmc-expert-rifleman_1_18f8ae5b138057c7fa883ee1fb44327f.jpg

44 minutes ago, 5thwingmarty said:

This image was taken from a Robbins Trophies catalog in the collection of the Missouri Historical Society.  The catalog is not dated, but there is an item in the catalog that displays the year 1922 so I presume the catalog dates to the early to mid-1920's.  So by this time, Robbins appears to have started using just the letter R in the first block, but had not switches to using the spelled out name on their items.  The catalog did also have this one page of military badges that were available.

Robbins catalog page.jpg

Robbins catalog qualification badges.jpg

that really hits it on the nose wow yea mine is an R in diamond i thought it was worn down stamp

50 minutes ago, donaldnol said:

that really hits it on the nose wow yea mine is an R in diamond i thought it was worn down stamp

as you go on in life you learn a little more

This Naval Aviator badge was owned by John M Lott who qualified in1918.  It has the CMR mark as well.   A bit hard to see in this photo but the M is clearly visible.  They continued to use this pattern throughout WW2 and after but with the Robbins name mark as seen here on my site - http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usnavy/pilot/robbinsnavypilot.shtml

image.png.4b3c8fc061a4e067039faeabf6da3400.png

image.png.82d27994bd246a291f8215097e620390.png

• 1 year later...
5thwingmarty

Here is another one of the Smilo wings that looks like it had also received the Robbins markings, but someone ground out the markings.  So would removing the questionable Robbins mark increase or decrease the value?  This wing is currently up for sale on ebay.

front.jpg

rear.jpg

back of shield.jpg

I wouldn't think it would increase its value, but it looks like the seller thinks otherwise.

Steve Brannan

It would decrease it for me. But it is a desirable wing nevertheless. I love Smilo’s detail feathering.