802nd P. INF HQ Crate/Trunk?

I've had this crate for a while and I never really tried to figure out where it came from, or it's purpose. I've been stumped, if anyone can shed some light on what this crate is, and what unit it came from that would be great.

ReEIdCt.jpg?1i2dxdeh.jpg?1

JOXyiaN.jpg?1

iJJsbWb.jpg?1

Company Label : Roger & Madison Trunk Corp;Genuine (In red); PLY (Under Genuine); Petersburg, Va.

6zkcPWB.jpg?1

Well the 322nd Infantry was in the 81st Division, and Hoboken was the major imbarkation port to France in WWI.

To add to the confusion the 802nd Pioneer Infantry was a Black unit.

http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-military/index.cgi/md/read/id/2230/sbj/roster-of-371st-infantry-regiment-ww1/

Exactely, It appears to be marked for two different units. Could it be a WWI Trunk, thus the "802nd P. INF" label, then reused by the 322nd Infantry during WWII? And, if so, why wouldn't they remove the 802nd label?

It has the standard AEF shipping marking. My guess is the trunk was first used by the Medical Detachment (note the caduceus under the Infantry crossed rifles) of the 322 Infantry for the trip over to France and then was acquired for use by 802nd Pioneer Infantry for the trip back to the US.

Exactely, It appears to be marked for two different units. Could it be a WWI Trunk, thus the "802nd P. INF" label, then reused by the 322nd Infantry during WWII? And, if so, why wouldn't they remove the 802nd label?

then reused by the 322nd Infantry later on during WWI*. Perhaps the 802nd got attached to the 322nd? Thus the double label.

It has the standard AEF shipping marking. My guess is the trunk was first used by the Medical Detachment (note the caduceus under the Infantry crossed rifles) of the 322 Infantry for the trip over to France and then was acquired for use by 802nd Pioneer Infantry for the trip back to the US.

Quite possibly. So, this indeed is a WWI trunk?

Looks more like the regimental size field desk than a trunk. Steve McG

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it does look like a HQ type unit item of some sorts rather then a personel item. I say this because I,m not seeing a name, if it was a personel item we would see a name, a name with possiably a rank along with it. Unless of course a name with rank perhaps is on the side facing the wall, is there Matthew?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it does look like a HQ type unit item of some sorts rather then a personel item. I say this because I,m not seeing a name, if it was a personel item we would see a name, a name with possiably a rank along with it. Unless of course a name with rank perhaps is on the side facing the wall, is there Matthew?

No, however, I cleaned off and took pictures of the sides and back of the crate/trunk and found these markings:

This one clearly showing the markings of the 322nd, and not to mention the H.32 Mark, contrasting to the H.52 Mark on top on the crate/trunk.

l4CRUpz.jpg?1kp2UlxX.jpg?1uILijw1.jpg?1HVK188a.jpg?1zcZSlsD.jpg?1

That there my friend is a Wildcat, the famous symbol of the 81st Wildcat Division.

attachicon.gif5i-small.jpg

Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks, Patches! Can you come up with any conclusion on what the side markings might say. I noticed one of them says "Q.M. HSP" or "Q.M. IISP"; and another clearly states, "Class D". Are these shipping labels perhaps?

Well, you learn something new everyday. Thanks, Patches! Can you come up with any conclusion on what the side markings might say. I noticed one of them says "Q.M. HSP" or "Q.M. IISP"; and another clearly states, "Class D". Are these shipping labels perhaps?

That I'll leave up to the others like World War Nerd, they'll know WWI abbrevations better than I will.

I think ATB is correct as every field hospital had a Quartermaster section to handle the medical supplies.

Without checking, I'm pretty sure that each division had four field hospitals: one for wounded patients, one for gas patients, one for contagious disease, and one in reserve for overflow patients.

I think ATB is correct as every field hospital had a Quartermaster section to handle the medical supplies.

Without checking, I'm pretty sure that each division had four field hospitals: one for wounded patients, one for gas patients, one for contagious disease, and one in reserve for overflow patients.

So would you believe this to be a Quartermaster Trunk/Crate from a Hospital Section, or perhaps a Field Desk that at one point was used by a Hospital Section?