4 Star Admiral Flag wwii

Mac.military

I picked this flag up a few weeks back. It looked wwii vintage, but wasn't sure. I have looked out in the forum and discovered that wwii flags have zinc grommets. This flag has zinc grommets. Like many things that we have in our collections, it is a shame that this item can't talk. This flag was picked up by a picker in the San Francisco area. I bought it from an antique shop, but couldn't tell me any more about the flag. Here is what I can find out on the internet:

1. The flag with zinc grommets were made between 1942 and 1944. Brass was needed for the war effort.

2. Zinc grommets have "3" stamped on them.

3. Based on the condition, I don't believe this was ever flown at sea. However, there are rusted nail or tack marks.

4. Flag is high quality, the stars on the front and back line up perfectly.

5. There were seven 4 star admirals between 1942 and 1944.

6. Based on where this flag turned up, it may have belonged to Nimitz, Spruance or Turner. All lived in the San Francisco bay area prior to their death. Then again, maybe someone brought it to the bay area and it belonged to another Admiral.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this flag!

post-106355-0-60226800-1419138335.jpg

post-106355-0-36822400-1419138346.jpg

post-106355-0-54525800-1419138369.jpg

Just a thought - many of these did not belong to any flag officer specifically, but to a command or ship. They have protocol sets of various flags and pull them out of the flag locker when that rank visitor arrives. The fact that this flag is marked "4-star Admiral" could indicate that (or is a note placed there by an owner/seller). There may have been seven 4-star admirals in WWII, but likely there were dozens or more such flags.

CNY Militaria

I agree. Many more flags than Admirals exist. Also, tying it to any particular admiral in this situation is impossible. That being said, it is a very nice flag!

I just picked this 2 Star Rear Admiral Flag yesterday at a small local auction. So no history conected to it. But I to was looking for info on line and a fellow forum member mentioned your post. I had a hard time finding anything and am happy to see my flag is also WW2 vintage according to your research. The Zinc grommet has the 3 stamped. I thought I would post pics of mine to help others looking too.

Very nice flag you have there too. Did you find anything on the possible range of value?

post-1062-0-80128300-1419182706.jpg

• 4 weeks later...