Help identify the Thai made beret flash

STONEY

Has anyone seen this beret flash before. Who might have worn it, etc? I've reached out to my 46th Co contacts and they never wore this piece on anything.

Sorry for blocking image, but my last posting was lifted and passed around on E*** and being produced. I'm sure this will be another you'll see come out of the wood work. "THIS IS NOT FOR SALE".

Thanks, Stoney

post-154475-0-52892400-1419087972.jpg

Stoney,

This flash is shown as #471 in the unknown section of Bill Hudspeath's book Beret Insignia of the U.S. Army.

I have a hand written note next to the illustration dated 1999 that says it might not be U.S. insignia with no further explanation where I got the info.

looks like its a lao patch to me but i could be wrong.

Laotian... Duh of course. Why the hell am I asking my 46th contacts???

Thanks Danang Dave.

I've never seen that flash but it looks like the Thai Project Unity patch. Also same basic design of Dep Chief JUSMAGTHAI.

Of course it's the old Laotian flag design so it could be a number of Lao related things.

Its JUSMAGTHAI.....there is one grouping that just changed hands that have this insignia on berets and party suites.

hahaha you guys. ill post pics of whole shirt when i have it in my hands

Yes please do. Some nice treasures you've got and thanks for sharing. Love this stuff!

Feel free to send PM's with scans if you do want anything special out there.

You know not for nothing, A question was just brought to my attention about the ID on this flash.

JUSMAGTHAI stands for Joint US Military Advisory Group Thailand.

Why would a flash be made for that organization be made to look like the flag design for Laos (1952-1975)?

Dep Chief JUSMAGTHAI was the controlling element--more of a cover, IIRC--for US activities inside Laos, such as Project 404 and the army attaché program that placed personnel inside Laos.

Dep Chief JUSMAGTHAI was the controlling element--more of a cover, IIRC--for US activities inside Laos, such as Project 404 and the army attaché program that placed personnel inside Laos.

Thanks buddy.

This is still one of the areas I'm trying to research. The US participation in Laos and Cambodia. If you have a simple explanation as to why I research the topic of Laos, Thailand keeps coming up I'm all ears. Did the French have something to do with both countries, or should I just leave the French out of it?

Best, Stoney

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan, it's your birthday, why are you messing around on the forum?

because I'm at work...........well "work" is probably too strong a word for it :)

and i wanted to show off my new shirt.

cheers

Ryan