1930s BB&B Pattern Pilot Wing - Winner or Loser

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

A friend of mine has had this for probably at least 30 years and I've been told it's a 30s BB&B style pilot wing. I know very little about pre-ww2 wings...is this correct? Also is the wing original? Thanks ABN

post-1800-0-70398100-1419025131.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

Last one. The back has like a nickel finish. The only hallmark is sterling. It's impressed as such and it's an even strike. I don't see any signs of casting per say, but I don't necessarily see any die marks either. It's pretty shiny on the back but the flash makes it worse. Thanks ABN

post-1800-0-86005300-1419025272.jpg

First, I think that this is a vintage wing, just not of the 1930's and just not intended for wear by pilots on their uniform.

I have a grouping that come from the family of Alice and Johnnie Cobb. Mr. Cobb was an enlisted man in the CBI (but not a pilot or aircrew). He (apparently) sent back many items to his wife while he was overseas, and she kept a scrap book (which I managed to find at a flea market).

Here as some of the items from that scrap book, including some nice CBI made patches, the wing, and a photo of her wearing the wing. To my knowledge, this is the only photo I have ever seen of this wing being worn. The wing itself is very common, shows up with a variety of hallmarks and findings, and I strongly suspect was a rather popular sweetheart item during WWII.

So, IMHO, it is NOT a 1920's or 30's vintage pilot wing, although I suspect it is possible that some pilot wore something similar at some time around the 40's (+/- a few years on either end). At least you have one "autobiographical" photo of the wing being worn during WWII as a sweetheart piece.

Patrick

post-1519-0-82040000-1419029429.jpg

post-1519-0-91278800-1419029455.jpg

post-1519-0-37715200-1419029474.jpg

:blush:

After reexamining these very humble looking wings which appear to have been stamped out in mass - and seeing the photo of Alice Cobb wearing hers which has a very inexpensive costume-jewelry style fastener attached to its back, the thought came to me that they were probably first made to sell in local 5 & 10 cent variety stores such as F. W. Woolworth and S. H. Kress during World War II - primarily as Patrick has alluded to - for wives, mothers and sweethearts to wear.

Please note that this is only an idea; however, one thing is certain, contrary to what anyone may have been led to believe in the past, none of these were never actually made by the firm of Bailey, Banks & Biddle.

Cliff

As I alluded to in my previous post on these wings, I feel these are/were an inexpensive sweetheart wing probably available in the "five and dime" or maybe in the Post Exchange.

They just don't seem up to Bailly Banks & Biddle standards:

post-594-0-93271100-1419100977.jpg

The pair I have are similar to Patricks but have slightly higher end findings. I would still consider them to be "costume jewelry" level quality, though that is probably more a function of what the manufacturer had on hand than any attempt to make a better quality badge.

Adding to the confusion is illustration of a pair of these as an example of: "...wing badges made in the early 1920s, this shoulder is not pronounced or is markedly different from wing badges made after 1941; Number 48." in Duncan's book. I have never been sure if what he was implying was that this style was worn and used in the 20s or if he was really only intending to show them as an example of the difference (specifically in the configuration of the shoulder)?

There is also some speculation that at least one die for this badge is still in operation today...

Also, we collectors tend to think of BB&B as a high-end jeweler, but they were also a manufacturing jeweler. I would not be surprised to find out that they may have sold these wholesale to discounters and the PX trade as an inexpensive wing badge for sale as a souvenir type badge.

For me, until I see a period photo of these being worn by a 20s-30s pilot, I am going to keep mine, but I will keep them in the "Sweetheart" pile.

Chris

Russ,

Thanks for sharing! Without a doubt, your badge was not intended to be "inexpensive." It is also the first "thick" one of these I have ever seen. Mine on the other hand is pretty thin. Yours clearly also has more refined hardware than mine.

If any of these is a candidate for a badge that would be worn proudly by a pilot it would be one like yours.

Still would like to see a picture of one of these being worn by a pilot.

Chris