WW1 Marine Corps Pilot's Uniform, etc.

Belleauwood

Vic - I think Kurt's analysis fits the bill here. "Somebody" in 1949 remedied an oversight. Since the convention was in Washington, D.C. and I'll bet there were many USMC aviation Flag Officers in attendence so it likely wouldn't have been difficult to get it done. Naming of medals, as you well know, is not a perfect science. I thinks the tale sits well as told. I'm curious though as to the type of PH came with the group.

BTW I have a group to a Marine who was nominated for a MOH at Blanc Mont, got a an OLC to his DSC and later a Navy Distinguished Service Medal. He was wounded at Blanc Mont and had several Silver Citation Stars but never applied for those medals in 1932. In October 1960, after applying for a state pension he received the Purple Heart - un-named - Type 1 in the purple box. I have his complete enlisted service record book and there is nothing that mentions the late award of the medal; no transmittal or presentation info. I have only a newsclipping and his own biographical comments. He later received a commission and perhaps there is another record to be found and reviewed. But that's another story! This WWI USMC Navy Cross aviator's group is probably the finest I've seen or am aware of. Semper Fi----Bobgee

vicjoy1945
...I have also seen 2 WWII officially engraved USMC PH's to WWI marines, that if you didnt know better, you would have thought they were to WWII KIA's....

Hey Kurt !!

This engraving style makes sense...in fact, I have a number of Korea War USMC posthumous PHs and they all use the same engraving style as the WWII PHs.

Vic

BTW again - I have a copy of the program for the FMAF Silver Anniversary Reunion in Washington in 1962. Mr. Everett R. Brewer from Illinois was in attendence.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

vicjoy1945
Vic - I think Kurt's analysis fits the bill here. "Somebody" in 1949 remedied an oversight. Since the convention was in Washington, D.C. and I'll bet there were many USMC aviation Flag Officers in attendence so it likely wouldn't have been difficult to get it done. Naming of medals, as you well know, is not a perfect science. I thinks the tale sits well as told. I'm curious though as to the type of PH came with the group.

Hey Bob !

I agree...there certainly are exceptions to the rule when it comes to engravings and this is probably such a case given the original documentation and overall "completeness" of this grouping. I don't doubt the authenticity of the PH and, as you made mention, this is probably one of the finest WWI USMC groupings I've seen.

Vic

Belleauwood
Hey Bob !

I agree...there certainly are exceptions to the rule when it comes to engravings and this is probably such a case given the original documentation and overall "completeness" of this grouping. I don't doubt the authenticity of the PH and, as you made mention, this is probably one of the finest WWI USMC groupings I've seen.

Vic

Bob, I will begin to shoot photos of the smaller items in the group to post, including the newspaper articles on Brewer. I will also photograph the letter of Aug. 1942, from the USMC Quartermaster Department, that notifies Brewer, a copy of the mural of his (Brewer's) action that was painted by Capt. John J. Capolino will be forwarded to Lt. Brewer under a seperate cover. Capolino painted a 52" x77" mural of the NC & PH action. His gunner (Wershiner) was thrown out of his cockpit during an evasive manuver and hung on to the vertical stabilizer untill the plane reached level flight upon which time he crawled back to his cockpit. This is not "hearsay" as it was witnessed buy others in the sortie.

More is comming. I know that I open myself to scrutiny by posting these articles in my collection, but this will hold up to any critique. This grouping was willed to the former owner free of charge after Mrs. Brewer passed away. He was notified to expect the arrival of the group by the attourny who liquidited the estate. It was not expected!

Belleauwood

This uniform group came directly from the widow in or about 1986. Mrs. Brewer willed this group to a dear friend of mine. It was offered to me in a trade/cash deal that I almost turned down! In retrospect, it was the best thing I've ever done in my persuit of really good Marine Corps groupings from WW1. I'm posting about 30 to 35 photos (if I can do it right) that should cover the high points, as well as answer any questions. There is more to the grouping, such as pants, and other smalls that really make this a truly unique group. I hope you enjoy - Dennis

post-3422-1215646490.jpg

Belleauwood
This uniform group came directly from the widow in or about 1986. Mrs. Brewer willed this group to a dear friend of mine. It was offered to me in a trade/cash deal that I almost turned down! In retrospect, it was the best thing I've ever done in my persuit of really good Marine Corps groupings from WW1. I'm posting about 30 to 35 photos (if I can do it right) that should cover the high points, as well as answer any questions. There is more to the grouping, such as pants, and other smalls that really make this a truly unique group. I hope you enjoy - Dennis

post-3422-1215646490.jpg

Wing

post-3422-1215646634.jpg