WW1 Marine Corps Pilot's Uniform, etc.

Belleauwood

Belleauwood

This is a test of my attempt to post a few photos of my Marine Aviator's grouping of Lieut. Everett R. Brewer, FMAF, Northern Bombing Group, AEF. Will expand text and photos if I get this attempt right!

post-3422-1215459155.jpg

Croix de Guerre
This is a test of my attempt to post a few photos of my Marine Aviator's grouping of Lieut. Everett R. Brewer, FMAF, Northern Bombing Group, AEF. Will expand text and photos if I get this attempt right!

HOORAY!! You did it! Welcome! It's addicting!

Belleauwood

This is last one till I can figure out how how to place more more than 1 photo per post. Sorry

post-3422-1215460597.jpg

post-3422-1215460637.jpg

Belleauwood, Great looking groupings! I would love to see more detailed photos.

The easiest way that I have found to add photos to one string is to reply to oneself. After you submit your initial post, just hit reply and continue to use that yo add your photos.

Once again, great looking items!

w00t.gif This is the best way to start the work week. Seeing a beautiful group like this is good for the body,

Bryan

Belleauwood
Belleauwood, Great looking groupings! I would love to see more detailed photos.

The easiest way that I have found to add photos to one string is to reply to oneself. After you submit your initial post, just hit reply and continue to use that yo add your photos.

Once again, great looking items!

No one has ever seen this group outside a select few. I will post more detailed images and give more of an explination as time permits. This is the core of my WW1Marine groups. The Navy Corpsman pictured with Brewer is number two. At any rate, I'm thrilled that others appreciate items that I have managed to assemble for my USMC portion of my collection. -

Best

Pete-o MSU
I'm thrilled that others appreciate items that I have managed to assemble for my USMC portion of my collection.

Wow what does the rest of your collection look like! thumbsup.gif

Belleauwood
Wow what does the rest of your collection look like! thumbsup.gif

Pretty much the same. It truly is modest to what the big boys have. Probably a little to focused for most collectors. I have sold off most of my AEF divisional groups to focus on forset green and castor oil. Best, Dennis

KASTAUFFER

Thats a great looking group! I love early Naval Aviation and this group is just fantastic. thumbsup.gif

Do you have any documentation concerning the award of his purple heart? As a historian of the Purple Heart, I love to see documentation concerning early awards.

Kurt

Dennis,

You are being too modest, I get excited about seeing a type of medal I have never seen before or someone sharing a cool photo. I think we would love to see more of your amazing collection. If you have additional information about this Devil Dog Pilot it would be awesome to read or to see. Thank you so much for posting and sharing with all of us.

Enrique

Belleauwood
Thats a great looking group! I love early Naval Aviation and this group is just fantastic. thumbsup.gif

Do you have any documentation concerning the award of his purple heart? As a historian of the Purple Heart, I love to see documentation concerning early awards.

Kurt

Kurt,

When I received the group and ripped thru the packaging, I was sick when I found out the PH was actually a non-engraved, post WW2 heart. However, when I finally slowed down enough to read some of the original paperwork that was in a seperate box , I came across a 1949 newspaper clipping regarding Brewer being presented his PH at the First Marine Aviation Forces reunion in Washington, DC. He was presented his PH in front of 50 fellow Marine aviators by his very own observer/gunner, Harry Wershiner, who also was wounded in the same action and received the Navy Cross for valor in the action as well as Lt. Brewer. Wershiner was shot thru both lungs and was presumed dead until Brewer got him back to the Aerodrome and was found to be alive. Brewer was shot thru the hip and leg, but managed to get this plane back with Wershiner. I also have the letter from the commander of 218 Squadron (British) to which Brewer was attached, telling his father where to write his son in the hospital and to tell him he got his "Hun". Gripping letter.

Dennis

KASTAUFFER
Kurt,

When I received the group and ripped thru the packaging, I was sick when I found out the PH was actually a non-engraved, post WW2 heart. However, when I finally slowed down enough to read some of the original paperwork that was in a seperate box , I came across a 1949 newspaper clipping regarding Brewer being presented his PH at the First Marine Aviation Forces reunion in Washington, DC. He was presented his PH in front of 50 fellow Marine aviators by his very own observer/gunner, Harry Wershiner, who also was wounded in the same action and received the Navy Cross for valor in the action as well as Lt. Brewer. Wershiner was shot thru both lungs and was presumed dead until Brewer got him back to the Aerodrome and was found to be alive. Brewer was shot thru the hip and leg, but managed to get this plane back with Wershiner. I also have the letter from the commander of 218 Squadron (British) to which Brewer was attached, telling his father where to write his son in the hospital and to tell him he got his "Hun". Gripping letter.

Dennis

Dennis

That makes complete sense. Since he was not attached to the 2nd Division ( an Army unit ) he would not have been eligible for a Purple Heart when the Army created the award in 1932. The fact he got it post 1943 ( When the USMC became eligible ) is correct according to regs. I am glad he received it , even if 30 years later!

Kurt

vicjoy1945
Dennis

That makes complete sense. Since he was not attached to the 2nd Division ( an Army unit ) he would not have been eligible for a Purple Heart when the Army created the award in 1932. The fact he got it post 1943 ( When the USMC became eligible ) is correct according to regs. I am glad he received it , even if 30 years later!

Kurt

Hey Guys,

Wouldn't the Purple Heart still have been engraved if officially presented to him !?! I'd be curious to see if the presentation and/or qualification was in his service file...or...was the PH presented unofficially as part of the reunion ceremony by his fellow Marines !?!

Plenty of WWII Marines were presented officially engraved gallantry awards (including PHs) in the 1949 time frame...anyone out there have a WWI USMC offically engraved (probably WWII engraving format !?!) PH and presented in the late 1940s !?! Both my WWI USMC PHs were presented in the 1930s so they follow the usual format for that time period.

Thanks,

Vic

KASTAUFFER
Hey Guys,

Wouldn't the Purple Heart still have been engraved if officially presented to him !?! I'd be curious to see if the presentation and/or qualification was in his service file...or...was the PH presented unofficially as part of the reunion ceremony by his fellow Marines !?!

Plenty of WWII Marines were presented officially engraved gallantry awards (including PHs) in the 1949 time frame...anyone out there have a WWI USMC offically engraved (probably WWII engraving format !?!) PH and presented in the late 1940s !?! Both my WWI USMC PHs were presented in the 1930s so they follow the usual format for that time period.

Thanks,

Vic

I have a 1950's machine engraved PH to a WWI Marine who received it from the US Army!

I have also seen 2 WWII officially engraved USMC PH's to WWI marines, that if you didnt know better, you would have thought they were to WWII KIA's.

Since the medal was awarded post WWII, I am not sure if it would have been engraved or not. The service record would tell!

Kurt