A very early WWII issued canteen set time capsule.

rambob

I was digging around in the militaria cave and was in my canteen box when I blundered again on this canteen set. Nothing too special except it has all been together from the moment it was issued in 1942 until I bought it directly from the veteran. The reason I know this is the Robert L. Doland dutifully marked all three pieces with his last name and the cover with his full name/full serial number 15102523. This set is like a tiny time capsule and there are a few interesting aspects to it, even though it looks very mundane. First, the cover is in really nice condition and dated 1941, which makes it somewhat early. Even though the markings on the back are pretty strong, I can’t find a hint of a US ink stamping on the front, even under a magnifying glass. If the cover had been cleaned enough to remove the US stamp, the markings on the back would be missing. Second, the cup is a gorgeous 1941 dated cup with the markings on the cup bottom instead of the handle. Robert’s last name is lightly scratched on the bottom. Third, the canteen is a WW1 version dated 1918 on the back and with last name written in marker on the bottom. BTW. I was checking this set to see if the canteen was possibly 1941 dated, but unfortunately it isn't. But it would seem to me that this set was issued so early in the war that WWII manufactured canteens were not in the supply chain yet so the WWI canteens had to be reissued to make up the demand. Note the two deep, circular dents on the front of the canteen where the lift the dot fasteners of the cover had been pressed hard into the canteen. I don’t think this was done while the canteen was in this set, but when the canteen was originally used back in the pre WWII era. As always comments are welcome.

Bob

post-299-0-73905700-1418998479.jpg

post-299-0-41410000-1418998519.jpg

post-299-0-56557500-1418998546.jpg

Very nice! Looks like a nice complete, as-issued set! I have my grandfathers original set, with a WW1 dated canteen, 42 cup, 43 cover & a 43 belt. He was in North Africa & was issued new gear on the way to Cassino, where he was given this set. He used it through France, the bulge & Germany. He brought it home, along with some keepsakes, after the war. Always neat to see the different equipment that was used.

I always seem to match the years on my canteen sets, although I doubt any of them were matched during the war! Very nice set...a keeper indeed!

WHOA!! What an outstanding gem! Educational as well (for me, at least); there's one more manufacturer who utilized the M1910 Cover's center-seam construction into 1941...but I guess that's just trivia compared to the true value of an original set from the vet himself :)

I can't help but wonder how many of these original Canteen sets are floating around out there. Your post reminded me that I have one too, which I nearly forgot about- pics coming.

Morlok, that's my habit as well, except in the case of sets that have been together since their time of issue...that, and the lack of 1941-dated Canteens :blink:

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Now call me uninformed, but was it normal for a 1941 dated canteen cover to not have a US ink stamped on the front?? Because from my examination under a magnifying glass, I would bet my gun collection that this cover never had a US ink stamp on it. Comments please. Thanks.

Bob

Uuh...Rambob, my only comment on that unstamped Cover would be either just an oversight by a plant worker/stamper on the assembly line, or a Canteen Cover which was originally meant for a Wartime lend/lease issue. I have a "Hinson '41" Cartridge Belt without a "U.S." on the front, for reasons I'm not absolutely sure on.

Just guesses, mind you... :blink:

Here is another time capsule for the mix, which I was blessed with years ago. Again, a 1941-dated Cover made in the original 1910 configuration...

post-3226-0-65147800-1419128055.jpg

post-3226-0-80769900-1419128069.jpg

Flage, Nice set you have there!! It looks like my canteen cup and yours are twins. BTW. I also have a BAKER-LOCKWOOD MFG. CO.-1941 cover in my collection that is identical to yours.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the comment. There seemed to be a small explosion of those "T.A.C.U. Co. 1941" Cups some years ago, so I picked up a number of them when I was in the process of building more Canteen sets. The one above was sheer "accident", though.

Some time back, crates full of W.W.II-vintage Canteen sets were discovered in a Kentucky National Guard Armory. I bought one set, and liked it so well, I ordered another :wacko: According to the dealer (Wayne Thomas at "Armies of the Past"), most of these sets were 1918-dated Canteens and Cups in '41-dated "Atlantic Products" Covers. None of these sets were named, but they didn't appear to have been issued or used much at all either, so they fit well into the "time capsule" slot.

Here is one of them; pay no attention to that Saddle Hook- I put that on the rig myself ;)...

post-3226-0-38013400-1419268154.jpg

post-3226-0-78915700-1419268164.jpg

post-3226-0-98622600-1419268171.jpg

Great canteen sets gents. I especially like the early war stuff! I have a time capsule set as well, but later issue from 1944. Each piece is marked with the owners laundry number and it appears the owner must have been a desk jockey because it all is in mint condition. It's so cool to fin pieces (canteen sets or otherwise) that you know have been together forever.

LOL- that was my thought about my "Nye" set :lol:

Obviously hasn't been through any amphibious landings, crawling, etc.. but they sure are fine examples for us collectors to enjoy, eh??