Huge Camo Cargo Chute

Vix Steel

Picked this up at a flea market last weekend.

Looks like it was packed and read to deploy.

Assuming its a cargo chute. Possibly nam era, Im only guessing as its camo and came in a nylon pack.

Havent taken it all out as its nicely packed but its heavy at over 40 lbs! Pulled only a few feet and a ton came out.

Not sure if anyone will be wanting this as is so I was pondering cutting it up.

I assume people would want material for camo covers and as someone suggested table covers for collectors shows.

chute.jpg

Does it still have the shroud lines attached? My understanding is that military parachutes normally have these cut before selling or disposing of them to prevent people from using them as, you know, parachutes. Maybe that only applies to personnel parachutes (T-10, MC-1, etc) since I don't think it would be easy for a person to jump a cargo chute.

I believe it does still have the shroud lines attached to the skirt/canopy, Im no rigger but it looks all there from what little ive seen.

Hope for nice weather this weekend so I can take it out to the park so I can deploy it.

Sadly at that point there is no chance I will be able to pack it all back the way it was.

I can tell you one thing about these parachutes and that is they don't open when you jump with one off of a second story roof !!! My brother was flying C-119's out of Kichloe AFB in Michigan. We lived in Wisconsin and my brother dropped Christmas presents for the family in our back field with a cargo chute (possibly smaller than this one) Well being 8-10 years old I later had to try it out. Good thing the ground was soft but I felt an inch or so shorter. The chute became bow deer hunting clothing for me in the 60's when there was not alot of camo clothing out there where I lived. Have fun with it.

Regards, Mitch