INFO REQ: Helmet w/ Painted 76th Div. Insignia

rustbucket

For some reason I cannot copy the link, but search ebay for "US WW1 New England Division 151st artillery Brigade Insignia Painted Helmet"

Attributed to the 76th division, 151st artillery, 301-302-303 regiments, but I thought this was just a trench mortar insignia.

Can anyone give opinions? I've been looking for a 76 division liberty bell painted helmet with no success, and am curious if this helmet would be appropriate for my 302 artillery grouping.

thanks in advance for any assistance.

world war I nerd

Hi Jake,

I've seen that one listed as 76th Field Artillery, 1st Artillery Brigade, which would make it part of the 3rd Infantry Division.

Somehow the 3rd Division just doesn't just sound for that insignia, but the numbers are correct for that division.

I've also seen that one listed as having something to do with the 76th Infantry Division. The artillery in the 76th was comprised of the 131st Field Artillery Brigade, made up of the 131st, 132nd and 133rd Field Artillery regiment, plus the 131st Trench mortar battery.

But I'm not aware of any unit specific insignia for that division, so that also doesn't sound right to me.

There was also a 76th Coast Artillery (anti-aircraft) Regiment organized in New York in 1921. Come to think of it, I've also seen that insignia listed as having something to do with the Coast Artillery, so I suppose that could be a remote possibility as well.

Sorry if I made things even more confusing.

Hopefully someone out there can tell us exactly what this insignia is.

world war I nerd

I Have to correct myself regarding unit specific insignia for the 76th Division.

I just found this photo of a Doughboy wearing a 303rd Field Artillery (76th Division) collar disc and a similar but different insignia.

Perhaps each artillery regiment in the 76th Division used the same insignia - an artillery projectile, but it was placed differently: horizontal, cacing left, vertical, and horizontal facing right to represent the three regiments?

post-5143-0-63977300-1418818651.jpg

MAW, was the same insignia used for all three artillery regiments?

It's on the cover of the brigade history, The 151st Field Artillery Brigade, published in 1919, so it seems likely.

The insignia shows up as a patch in plenty of photos in the 301st and 302nd FA regimental histories. I don't recall whether it shows up in the 303rd's The GPF Book, but if I remember right, that one is pretty light on postwar photos.

MAW, was the same insignia used for all three artillery regiments?

That is correct.

If memory serves, I believe the infantry of the 76th Division was split to the four winds; but the division artillery remained intact.....and this was essentially a brigade patch.

I agree it is the Brigade patch for these guys, some patches have metallic thread for driving bands and fuses some don't. The helmet looks great to me...

world war I nerd

Thanks, for clearing up what was never quite clear to me.

For some reason, I seem to recall seeing that SSI sewn on with the shell placed horizontal rather than vertical. That's why I was wondering if each artillery regiment had their own version.

Thanks, for clearing up what was never quite clear to me.

For some reason, I seem to recall seeing that SSI sewn on with the shell placed horizontal rather than vertical. That's why I was wondering if each artillery regiment had their own version.

There is a pioneer infantry regiment that has a horizontal red artillery shell for an insignia....usually under a 1st Army patch. I'll try to remember which one it is and post it, since it is somewhat similar.

Link to a discussion about the 3rd Pioneer Infantry....

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/220343-wwi-first-army-trench-mortar-or-artillery-park/

I can verify that the insignia is associated with that regiment. A friend had an "out of the woodwork" officer group that he sold recently, identified to a captain.