factory goofs

Phantomf4

lamarhooten

The wife saw me posting my goof patches and said she has one with all her Alaska Def. Cmd bear patches. Notice the lack of white thread around the nose area. It is on the Ike jacket of a E-6. Some error and goofed up patches did get worn and used.post-3643-0-15998600-1434257231.jpg

The wife saw me posting my goof patches and said she has one with all her Alaska Def. Cmd bear patches. Notice the lack of white thread around the nose area. It is on the Ike jacket of a E-6. Some error and goofed up patches did get worn and used.attachicon.gifDSC05645.JPG

A great example of one of these actually sewn to a uniform, makes one wonder if he, the one who acquired the patch noticed the error, or if sewn on by someone else, the person who sewed it on noticed, and if they noticed, didn't care, or thought it was a big deal.

• 6 months later...

7th Infantry Division red back.

post-108826-0-85715000-1452639718.jpgpost-108826-0-38123300-1452639725.jpg

I think that's a damage right, the boobin threads are still intact, normally we see the base cloth on both front and rear?

post-108826-0-85715000-1452639718.jpgpost-108826-0-38123300-1452639725.jpg

I think that's a damage right, the boobin threads are still intact, normally we see the base cloth on both front and rear?

No, that's no damage but a manufacturer's error. When a design detail is embroidered, mostly two layers of that color's design thread are embroidered to have that specific feature of depth at the front view of the design. Here only one layer of thread, the base of that detail, has been embroidered with this look as a result. When a second layer of black detail should have been embroidered, everything should have been covered and was the hour glass detail thicker. It's not hard to tell that the black thread on the bobbin was used up.

At the back, the red background thread you see in the hour glass design, is nothing else but the red background thread being embroidered a bit further than the edges of the hourglass detail to avoid seeing cotton base material when finished. When that second layer of black detail thread should have been embroidered (for the thickness of the detail), all these red threads would have been covered too.

H.

No, that's no damage but a manufacturer's error. When a design detail is embroidered, mostly two layers of that color's design thread are embroidered to have that specific feature of depth at the front view of the design. Here only one layer of thread, the base of that detail, has been embroidered with this look as a result. When a second layer of black detail should have been embroidered, everything should have been covered and was the hour glass detail thicker. It's not hard to tell that the black thread on the bobbin was used up.

At the back, the red background thread you see in the hour glass design, is nothing else but the red background thread being embroidered a bit further than the edges of the hourglass detail to avoid seeing cotton base material when finished. When that second layer of black detail thread should have been embroidered (for the thickness of the detail), all these red threads would have been covered too.

H.

Isn't the part where the thread is missing the front, the image on the right?

post-108826-0-74119000-1452708350.jpgpost-108826-0-72005200-1452708359.jpg

Is it me? That one marked FRONT looks like the REAR, see the White threads outlining the Hourglass, and slight flecking of White thread throughout, boobin thread right? then there's White thread strands running along a portion of the border on the lower left, plus the overall courser appearance.

Patches,

I just saw your question about front or back of the patch. Because I didn't see any back thread, it didn't came to mind that your remark very well could be. On the other hand, why would a manufacturer embroider the black detal at the back? This seems impossible seeing the embroidery process on the Schiffli...

The second series of pictures (more detailed) even show an unfinished border. What I questioned myself on those pictures was the following: the picture where "REAR" is mentioned looks indeed more a front embroidery to me too, at the moment. To me this was very odd, considering my first question here just above in this post regarding this detail.

Below is an example of an unfinished patch, or how it should look like...

Here you can see the outlining of the patch which gives the same outlining at the back. This is visual because of the white threads at the back scan of the patch, just along the border (or where the border would be embroidered). This feature, just along the inner edge of the OD border, is the same at the detail picture of the 7th ID patch where "FRONT" is mentioned. In fact this picture would be the back of the patch instead. This gives me a confirmation of your thought here that the "REAR" picture most likely is having front embroidery.

However the first question (again) still stands.

To answer this question, I think this could be part of the embroidering process. Looking at the unfinished 14th Arm Div patch, at the red part, there is more red thread at the back of the patch than at the front. You can see this feature at the front scan of the patch where there isn't any red design thread next to the barrell. At the back scan of the patch, this spot is filled with red thread. This first layer of embroidery, first of all very likely covered the cotton base material at the back. This would explain why the back has black threads and the front doesn't at the 7th ID patch.

Could anyone verify this process of manufacturing?

Thx Patches for your remark. I would have never thought of it. Hopefully i wasn't too technical? And it's indeed very interesting that this patch was worn vice versa. This also means that many error patches, even this one, were issued and nothing was lost.

post-4811-0-88959900-1452721231.jpg

Patches,

I just saw your question about front or back of the patch. Because I didn't see any back thread, it didn't came to mind that your remark very well could be. On the other hand, why would a manufacturer embroider the black detal at the back? This seems impossible seeing the embroidery process on the Schiffli...

The second series of pictures (more detailed) even show an unfinished border. What I questioned myself on those pictures was the following: the picture where "REAR" is mentioned looks indeed more a front embroidery to me too, at the moment. To me this was very odd, considering my first question here just above in this post regarding this detail.

Below is an example of an unfinished patch, or how it should look like...

Here you can see the outlining of the patch which gives the same outlining at the back. This is visual because of the white threads at the back scan of the patch, just along the border (or where the border would be embroidered). This feature, just along the inner edge of the OD border, is the same at the detail picture of the 7th ID patch where "FRONT" is mentioned. In fact this picture would be the back of the patch instead. This gives me a confirmation of your thought here that the "REAR" picture most likely is having front embroidery.

However the first question (again) still stands.

To answer this question, I think this could be part of the embroidering process. Looking at the unfinished 14th Arm Div patch, at the red part, there is more red thread at the back of the patch than at the front. You can see this feature at the front scan of the patch where there isn't any red design thread next to the barrell. At the back scan of the patch, this spot is filled with red thread. This first layer of embroidery, first of all very likely covered the cotton base material at the back. This would explain why the back has black threads and the front doesn't at the 7th ID patch.

Could anyone verify this process of manufacturing?

Thx Patches for your remark. I would have never thought of it. Hopefully i wasn't too technical? And it's indeed very interesting that this patch was worn vice versa. This also means that many error patches, even this one, were issued and nothing was lost.

attachicon.gif03-117a.jpg

Because the top threads of the Hourglass got damaged somehow? that's what I was first asserting, shaved or shredded off. I now believe it was a error. Those horizontal threads and the threads making up the outline of the Hourglass on the front of the patch the bare Khaki Twill, is whats holding the boobin threads on the back of the Hourglass, and the remaing embroidery to complete/fill out the Hourglass was not completed .

• 2 months later...
lamarhooten

Time to get this thread back in circulation! Here is a interesting 9th Transportaion Bn. without the motto added. Just a very small trace of the last e is there. Not picked out, just never there. Had to look at it afew times before it dawned on me what was wrong! Found it in a $1.00 patch box.post-3643-0-54165300-1458536479.jpg

Nice Pocket Patch lamar, here it is in it full form. Unit by the way was briefly a part of the 1st Infantry Division during the PENTOMIC period circa 1959-62-63, so it fits nicely into the Big Red One, who major wearers of the Battalion DI PP back then.

post-34986-0-69076700-1458585583.jpg

firefighter

I have a few patches that aren't complete mostly just uncut ones and some from the edge of the sheet.

These look like Navy CPO stripes