factory goofs

Phantomf4

Found two online, both newer subdudes.

A really blown Americal patch 1970s-90s post-34986-0-53371500-1420666114.jpg

And a somewhat botched 27th Infantry Brigade 1990s-00s post-34986-0-33210400-1420666126.jpg

Here is one I think is neat.... 7 wheel Tank Destroyer. This came in a small lot of patches collected by a soldier during WWII, he meticulously tagged all of them with typed labels and paper clips. I've had it for about a month now and just noticed it was missing a wheel.

post-781-0-17706000-1420851506.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

correct! Here's the thread. People said it was OK, not fake.

Hi there

Just to clarify , this patch is not and never has been regarded as a fake or a variation, it is a manufacturer's defect like the rest of the patches in this this thread. Also the use of the word "error" can have a different meaning to different collectors. Personally I think defect sums up this thread , missing design embellishments or parts of, thread , colour, offline any part of the patch that was passed over as 1st grade quality. Now were they worn , some of them would of been, I have a 20th Armd Div. and realised it was missing the lightning bolt , i have had it for 5 odd years!!!

Phill

I see what your saying about defect etc. but error or defect it's still goofed up. I like to call them Goofs, because either way there goofed up. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

Just to clarify , this patch is not and never has been regarded as a fake or a variation, it is a manufacturer's defect like the rest of the patches in this this thread. Also the use of the word "error" can have a different meaning to different collectors. Personally I think defect sums up this thread , missing design embellishments or parts of, thread , colour, offline any part of the patch that was passed over as 1st grade quality. Now were they worn , some of them would of been, I have a 20th Armd Div. and realised it was missing the lightning bolt , i have had it for 5 odd years!!!

Phill

I just noticed this post today, perhaps it would be better stated that you never considered the tank destroyer sans barrel as a variation. plenty of others do. On the attached picture I have a few variations of Tank destroyer patches, by your definition would an eight wheel tank destroyer patch be an defect because there are no red lines in the mouth? Or would the four wheel tank destroyer be an defect because it is missing 4 wheels? Now the 4 wheel without red in the mouth, which I have only ever seen with the tread and cog design pictured, defect? I do not have any 6 wheel TD patches but I have noticed these come with or without red in the mouth which one would be the defect or are they both defects because they have 6 cogs? The point of my post is that we collect patches, some are worth more than others and how each of us defines something can be different from how someone else defines something. Everyone has an opinion, I go back to the white tongue 101st.... is it just a crappy defect patch?

post-582-0-17578700-1424451608.jpg

I just noticed this post today, perhaps it would be better stated that you never considered the tank destroyer sans barrel as a variation. plenty of others do. On the attached picture I have a few variations of Tank destroyer patches, by your definition would an eight wheel tank destroyer patch be an defect because there are no red lines in the mouth? Or would the four wheel tank destroyer be an defect because it is missing 4 wheels? Now the 4 wheel without red in the mouth, which I have only ever seen with the tread and cog design pictured, defect? I do not have any 6 wheel TD patches but I have noticed these come with or without red in the mouth which one would be the defect or are they both defects because they have 6 cogs? The point of my post is that we collect patches, some are worth more than others and how each of us defines something can be different from how someone else defines something. Everyone has an opinion, I go back to the white tongue 101st.... is it just a crappy defect patch?

This has been heatedly discussed elsewhere.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/231321-td-with-no-gun-barrel

I think this thread is better served simply by adding examples of goof patches rather than debate. Just my two cents.

-Ski

This has been heatedly discussed elsewhere.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/231321-td-with-no-gun-barrel

I think this thread is better served simply by adding examples of goof patches rather than debate. Just my two cents.

-Ski

I agree, when I first started this thread it was meant for error (goof) in manufacture, like missing parts of the design, unfinished patches and mess ups in the embroidery etc. Not so much on variants or debates on variations. Thank you all for your pictures etc on this.

Here is my ADSEC oopsy:

Oh that patch was made because those links in the Nazi war machine where already obliterated!!! HA HA I couldn't help it. That is a nice ADSEC goof though, thanks for posting.

Nice to see you posting here as well! And I agree wholeheartedly!

• 3 weeks later...

got this today, the left shoulder is missing, after looking closer then I realized the pedestal is missing also.

post-153748-0-31135900-1425944561.jpg

post-153748-0-17325000-1425944565.jpg