factory goofs

Phantomf4

I'm fairly sure a subdued 7th div should have a black hourglass, right?
post-153851-0-13325000-1417374819.jpg
And I have been told this is an error, but to me it just looks like a patch that got messed up
post-153851-0-51552600-1415911221.jpg

I have a few...

For the 77th, on the viewers right side, not sure if the machine did this or if someone tried to correct the error by hand.

post-29885-0-97151700-1418847660.jpg

post-29885-0-81928600-1418847668.jpg

post-29885-0-18581100-1418847675.jpg

post-29885-0-35997900-1418847681.jpg

These can be attributed to spoilage at the beginning and end of an embroidery run. I've seen patches embroidered on a strip of background cloth and the patches toward each end will be only partially finished. Usually happens at the and when thread spools run out of thread before the last patch is done. It's kind of like the press run of a newspaper in that at the start-up some of the pages don't get printed and the same happens at the end. If you buy, say 100 patches, the machines might be set up to make 120 or 130 total and they get your 100 out of the middle of the run cause that's when the good ones are.

I was told about this years ago when ordering some patches to be made for our CAP squadron.

Great topic, would love to see more examples.

Yes, I thought I'd start this because you read about all the rare variants and all the money spent on them, it made me wonder if anyone collected goof ups and if they are worth more or less then a normal patch, I mean the post office goofed and printed the stamp with the Jenny airplane upside down and it's worth a boat load, so why not WW2 patches........right?

In the late 1940s these "imperfect" patches were sold at my local Woolworths 5& dime in NYC. There were bins of them. Don't recall exactly but they were cheap! Bobgee

I was there and picked up 2 from the guy you did I guess. I pulled a few good things from that market before...

Oh thought you were going to say something bad about it lol. There was a lot, I'm going to get more if there are some...

PS going to the meadowlands insignia show?

Never heard of it actually, I live in PA but go to that market with my Grandfather.

Oh ok. This will be my first year, I'll tell you how it goes, and if I recommend it next year. Have only heard good stuff so far though