Hi,received this photo that is supposedly from the Spanish American war.

Not a very interesting pose,in my opinion,but it does show some uniforms.

The picture is in terrible shape,and the scan isnt very good either,sorry!

The guy on the far left is wearing a campaign hat with what looks to be 11 over a G,and of course,crossed rifles.

11th regiment,Co. G,is what Im guessing.Aso has a US flag draped over his knee (Hopefuy not using it as a towel for shaving!!)

The guy in the center giving the shave is wearing a dark blue jacket with 3 buttons on the sleeve.

The guy getting the shave is wearing dark pants with khaki leggings.

The photo says "ROSHON,new studio,Harrisburg,PA"

The rear mentions Spanish American War 1898

The background scenery certainly doesnt look like Cuba,Puerto Rico,or The Phillipines.

Does anything in this photo line up with being from that time period?

post-109734-0-39619900-1418760619.jpg

post-109734-0-54394000-1418760625.jpg

daniel griffin

An unusual pose definitely from the Spanish American war era, there was no 11th Pa Infantry, so a closer look may reveal the regiment.

Leatherneck72

That's interesting. I used to own a similar image and a field decorated campaign hat that was embroidered "Battlefield Barber."

An unusual pose definitely from the Spanish American war era, there was no 11th Pa Infantry, so a closer look may reveal the regiment.

Well,upon closer inspection with a better magnifying glass it is 14 C rather than 11 G

Don't know if that helps any.

And am I right in assuming that the picture could be taken anywhere,and developed at the studio shown on the picture?

I'm completely dumb when it comes to the state of technology of this time period (And completely dumb when it comes to a lot of other things!!)

The 14th PA:

http://spanamwar.com/14thpa.htm

Most likely taken at Camp Hastings vic. Mt Gretna, PA (about 35 miles East of Harrisburg). This was a training location for the PA National Guard.

It was typical for troops to assemble at a local camp and then muster into Federal service.

It is very common to find SAW images from these smaller Camps and larger training sites throughout the US. Local photographers went to the camps to make $$ as the soldiers were eager to document their wartime service.

Scott

excellent info.Thank you.

I knew next to nothing about this war,other than it was our first step in being transformed into "superpower" status

Barbering and shaving in camp seems to be a common subject in old military pics. It's interesting that these guys found it entertaining to record such a routine activity. Maybe it was just the novelty of doing it in a camp setting?