My new "helmet stand".

jkash23686

A friend of mine cleaned out their parents basement and found an RCA K60 radio from 1942 and said I could have it as long as I took it away. Currently it doesn't work but I'm going to be get it working after Christmas, and possibly put up an NAZI'S QUIT headline paper I have framed above it.
-j

post-22057-0-04806500-1418617522.jpg

That's in really nice shape, and you can't beat the price. In my experience, tubes aren't too hard to find, so it might not be too hard to get working.

Nah, tubes should be easy and there are a ton of dealers that carry them, also nice that the cabinet is good as is. Cool display!

I've actually found most of the parts on ebay and amazon already. It needs a bit more than the tubes, theres a few things wrong with the buttons and front display, which I have already found complete for 50 bucks.

I've actually found most of the parts on ebay and amazon already. It needs a bit more than the tubes, theres a few things wrong with the buttons and front display, which I have already found complete for 50 bucks.

check out http://antiqueradios.com/archive.shtml

they helped me with my future "helmet stand"

post-125364-0-35943200-1418619171.jpg

and they are more than willing to help out new guys with parts and where to go for the best deals

Looks really good Jamie, now if it would play some WWI period newscasts and boogey music you'd be all set!

Larry

Larry workin on that, Gonna get it to work, then theres a way to add an AV jack and not ruin the look so I can play my D-day broadcast Mp3s and all my WWII mp3s.

A word of caution, in case you aren't aware, any radio of this age will need a lot more than new tubes to be 100% functional and safe. Almost all vintage radios will have electrolytic capacitors that are probably getting a bit tired at this point, and may cause damage to other electrical components. It's always a good idea to completely go through the receiver chassis on these old units, replacing all of the older capacitors with modern equivalents of the same rated values.

I'm sure you know this already, but thought I'd throw that out there just in case. You've got a gorgeous RCA console radio, and I'm sure it'll sound great once you get it up and running. They are surprisingly loud!

A word of caution, in case you aren't aware, any radio of this age will need a lot more than new tubes to be 100% functional and safe. Almost all vintage radios will have electrolytic capacitors that are probably getting a bit tired at this point, and may cause damage to other electrical components. It's always a good idea to completely go through the receiver chassis on these old units, replacing all of the older capacitors with modern equivalents of the same rated values.

I'm sure you know this already, but thought I'd throw that out there just in case. You've got a gorgeous RCA console radio, and I'm sure it'll sound great once you get it up and running. They are surprisingly loud!

Yup it needs much more than tubes, I also need to replace the chord before I plug it in again so I don't set my place on fire :) The friend who gave me it builds and works on vintage amps and speakers so we are going to dig into it after Christmas, Thanks for the heads up.

-j

Nice radio Jamie! As I mentioned in a previous thread I'm working on rewiring a desktop model to play pandora through an iPod. It takes some work but it can be done.

Larry workin on that, Gonna get it to work, then theres a way to add an AV jack and not ruin the look so I can play my D-day broadcast Mp3s and all my WWII mp3s.

Nice radio Jamie! As I mentioned in a previous thread I'm working on rewiring a desktop model to play pandora through an iPod. It takes some work but it can be done.

curiosity has me, but mine has the antenna connection and an other connection to connect a phonograph... if yours has that connection couldnt you just use it as a connection point for an mp3? instead of actually messing with the authenticity of the internals of the radio?

curiosity has me, but mine has the antenna connection and an other connection to connect a phonograph... if yours has that connection couldnt you just use it as a connection point for an mp3? instead of actually messing with the authenticity of the internals of the radio?

The antenna is internal and basically wire wrapped around wood that you can spin to get better reception. But based on the look of the internal parts I have a feeling there is going to be much more that needs to be done. I know for a fact before I can plug this in and not feel like im going to burn my condo down im going to have to replace the plug since its frayed and has some exposed wire.

I'm going to use as much used / new old stock to rebuild it as close to original as I can. Looking online I have found pretty much all of the original parts in much better condition than these are currently, even if I wanted to rebuild it from the ground up. The radio was produced from 41-46 so there seems to be a ton of original parts out there.

The antenna is internal and basically wire wrapped around wood that you can spin to get better reception. But based on the look of the internal parts I have a feeling there is going to be much more that needs to be done. I know for a fact before I can plug this in and not feel like im going to burn my condo down im going to have to replace the plug since its frayed and has some exposed wire.

I'm going to use as much used / new old stock to rebuild it as close to original as I can. Looking online I have found pretty much all of the original parts in much better condition than these are currently, even if I wanted to rebuild it from the ground up. The radio was produced from 41-46 so there seems to be a ton of original parts out there.

yeah theres quite a bit of new old stock out there, ive been finding it all over the place and mine has an internal antenna as well but there is 3 screws on the back at the bottom where you can attach an external antenna for a further range, then to the left there is an other one designed to attach the RCA Victor model 93-A record player. if yours has one then it could be a simple hook up to play mp3 youd just need to figure out an external hook-up

A friend of mine cleaned out their parents basement and found an RCA K60 radio from 1942 and said I could have it as long as I took it away. Currently it doesn't work but I'm going to be get it working after Christmas, and possibly put up an NAZI'S QUIT headline paper I have framed above it.
-j

check out http://antiqueradios.com/archive.shtml

they helped me with my future "helmet stand"

attachicon.gif1mt8.jpg

and they are more than willing to help out new guys with parts and where to go for the best deals

I've been wanting a nice old radio like your guys's for a long time. I may start collecting them next lol

GeneralCheese

Gotta love those old console radios. I currently have a 1953 Coronado as my nightstand. It's not covered by helmets though, just my phone and a pile of loose change.

I've been wanting a nice old radio like your guys's for a long time. I may start collecting them next lol

check craigslist people sell them cheap allthe time