Span-Am 2nd New York Infantry Regiment Jacket?

Rescued this guy from an antique mall yesterday. It was labelled as a Spanish American War 2nd New York Infantry Regiment Jacket. Now seeing as how this era isn't exactly my specialty, any and all help would be greatly appreciated in finding out if this is really what it is.

post-153919-0-98749100-1418606307.jpg

The 1895 undress jacket was also used by serveral fraternal groups. They can be distinguished by several features. I believe yours to be a real military coat used by the 2nd national guard unit.

Actual Army issue is not the same as above. Federal issue 1895 pattern did not have the border thread that follows the mohair trim. Also, the mohair wrist trim is also not correct. However, State militia and State national guard units tended to slightly alter their patterns from the federal standard. The navy pattern had the border thread but retained the navy rank scheme on the wrist. The navy also had the mohair continue up the back of the tunic. This feature is seen on the Knights of Pythias Uniform while retaining Army pattern features elsewhere. I believe, although I am not an expert, yours to be a true New York Militia tunic to the second regiment.

And just to add to the confusion, the 1895 Undress Tunic was for officers. It would be wrong to assume some officers didn't alter or order privately made tunics just like any other time period.

I see, thanks for your help! That actually does make sense as I have a WWI Doctors uniform and I saw just last night how the trim went like halfway up the back as I was comparing the two uniforms.

There was an earlier 1892 version with chest frogging that had the extra cording. Both were dropped in the '95 U.S. pattern. Since this is a state militia coat it may well differ from the federal version, so I see no issues with it.

It does need shoulder straps to show his rank. Is there a label showing the owner's name and rank? I would consider restoring it, though the straps could cost more than the coat.

G

• 1 year later...

Why don't you provide the info on the maker's label? It is probably a tailor or military goods dealer in the New York City region.

Also the Mohair trim, which was black originally has faded and quite possibly (judging from the photos) the thin piping was red before it faded too.

Details, details.

I think the insignia on the color may also help date when it was worn. Most of the 1895 pattern coats that I have seen worn by national guard troops has the state's initials first (like the one shown here) then crossed rifles with the regimental number at the top.

NGNY may have had different regulations, and you may be able to find when they wore the state's initals, then the regimental number. I'm sure that there is plenty of photographic evidence of New York National Guardsmen during this time period.

On a side note, I have an 1892 pattern coat worn by the Indiana National Guard with the same style embroidery, but the insignia is reversed. From the front of the collar, it is "3 IND"

You can see it here if interested. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/251634-party-like-its-1899-indiana-span-am-finds/?hl=1892