Keystone Carrier and Submarine toys

navyman

Hi,

Went flea marketing this morning and I found these in a antique mall. The first one is a air craft carrier and the second one is a submarine. The object that sticks out of the front of the sub is a torpedo. There's a firing mechanism on top of the sub. The air craft carrier has a plane which should be able to launch, but someone has put a metal tack in front of the plane. These wooden toys were made by Keystone and from the information that I was able to gather this company was from Boston Mass. Does anyone know what year these were made? My guess is 40's-50's. Any information would be appreciated.

Jason

post-2501-1215390663.jpg

Hi,

Went flea marketing this morning and I found these in a antique mall. The first one is a air craft carrier and the second one is a submarine. The object that sticks out of the front of the sub is a torpedo. There's a firing mechanism on top of the sub. The air craft carrier has a plane which should be able to launch, but someone has put a metal tack in front of the plane. These wooden toys were made by Keystone and from the information that I was able to gather this company was from Boston Mass. Does anyone know what year these were made? My guess is 40's-50's. Any information would be appreciated.

Jason

post-2501-1215390663.jpg

post-2501-1215391080.jpg

Homefrontguy

There are some nice photos and information in Jack Matthews book Toys Go To War. According to his book, this series of ships first appeared in catalogs in 1942. It doesnt say when they discontinued making them but from what I understand wooden toys are nearly exclusive to WWII due to shortages in war essential matetials such as metal.