Christmas card from the USS Wasp...CV7 or CV18 ?

kfields

Looking at the ship's profile on the Naval Heritage Command site, I think this is CV-18 - primarily based on the stack. CV-7 had a narrower stack with a battleship-like crows nest/tripod in front of it, while CV-18 had a wide stack and no tripod.

Here's CV-7:

Mark sends

post-3423-0-53177000-1418565549.jpg

Thanks Sigsaye!

I'll put a note with the card so I'll be sure to remember at Christmas time next year :)

On a side note, I am almost finished reading a self published book by a member of the crew of CV7, the first aircraft carrier named WASP. The title of the book is The Eight Said No and it was written by Joseph Underwood. He was aboard the carrier at the time it was sunk. He mentions that they spent a lot of time scrapping the paint off the interior walls and scrapping up the linoleum floors as they were considered a fire hazard in case the ship came under attack. He mentions this was done on several others of the carriers in the fleet at that time. That had to have been a horrible and time consuming job!

Kim

Thanks Sigsaye!

I'll put a note with the card so I'll be sure to remember at Christmas time next year :)

On a side note, I am almost finished reading a self published book by a member of the crew of CV7, the first aircraft carrier named WASP. The title of the book is The Eight Said No and it was written by Joseph Underwood. He was aboard the carrier at the time it was sunk. He mentions that they spent a lot of time scrapping the paint off the interior walls and scrapping up the linoleum floors as they were considered a fire hazard in case the ship came under attack. He mentions this was done on several others of the carriers in the fleet at that time. That had to have been a horrible and time consuming job!

Kim

Funny, just last week I read an action report of a carrier, (I think it was the Enterprise) from the Battle of Santa Cruz, about 6 weeks after the Wasp loss, that credited the removal of all paint and flooring in controlling fires on the carrier. I never have heard of such a massive undertaking before, and now I seen it twice. I have to try and go back and find it now. That book is now on my must read list.

I think it is pre-1955 picture. She went into the yards in from Mar - Dec 1955 to get her angled deck and huricane bow. So my guess is Xmas 1954 or earlier. Unless they used an old picture for 1955.

Charlie

Fully agree, miss read the article and thought she got a hurricane now, then later went back for angle deck. My mistake, thank you for catching it?

Funny, I have a CV-7 christmas card from my grandfather who was aboard. I cant find it for the life of me, but here is a postcard and a first day of issue envolope that he sent back home.

post-153936-0-52860200-1419102457.jpg