Schlueter M-1 Heat Stamp range

38Driver

Browninggunner688

I have 2 Schlueter shelks in my collection.

#428A, stainless rim, front seam, swivel bails, OD7 chinstrap with flat blackened buckle and flat blackened hook.

#493A, stainless rim, front seam, swivel bails, OD7 chinstrap with flat blackened buckle and flat blackened hook.

Very interesting subject this one as I too have always wondered about the dates my shells were produced.

Nick.

Hi Grant G.

I uploaded a picture that i had in my mailbox. The helmet is still in transit from Belgium to me. hope its usefull

Thank you Robby, I think you have a flat stamped brass buckle. When you get it in hand maybe you can double check. ;)

I have 2 Schlueter shelks in my collection.

#428A, stainless rim, front seam, swivel bails, OD7 chinstrap with flat blackened buckle and flat blackened hook.

#493A, stainless rim, front seam, swivel bails, OD7 chinstrap with flat blackened buckle and flat blackened hook.

Very interesting subject this one as I too have always wondered about the dates my shells were produced.

Nick.

Hey Nick, are you sure your helmets have stainless rims, and are you sure you are reading those heat stamps correctly? The latest stainless rim I have on the chart of 175 entries is back at 394A, and you are saying you have one at 428A and 493A. Also, 493A is really uncharacteristic of a front seam Schlueter. Please double check those and post photos. Thank you!

Hey Nick, are you sure your helmets have stainless rims, and are you sure you are reading those heat stamps correctly? The latest stainless rim I have on the chart of 175 entries is back at 394A, and you are saying you have one at 428A and 493A. Also, 493A is really uncharacteristic of a front seam Schlueter. Please double check those and post photos. Thank you!

id have to agree with you on that

Browninggunner688

My bad, the one with heat stamp 428A is manganese rim, front seam, not stainless front seam as I first posted, my other shell is packed away and cant get to it but before I packed away all my collection I catalogued everything so the one with heat stamp 493A will be a manganese rim not stainless, but it is also front seam.

I have tried to post a picture of the shell I have but it is too big to upload.

Nick.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have any more updated information in the past few months? Grant G. the info that you have put together is awesome. Thanks for that. I have 2 Schlueter helmets myself.. The first one is a fixed bail, heat stamp 119A... The second one is a swivel bail, heat stamp 353A... When I can I will take a look at them and find out more about the chinstraps/ buckles..

Thanks

Welcome to the forum JonBoy and thanks for that! The spreadsheet has since grown from what I originally made available on the forum (I think it is currently around 215 entries). If you would like an up-to-date copy in excel format, feel free to private message me your email address and I will send it over.

Welcome to the forum JonBoy and thanks for that! The spreadsheet has since grown from what I originally made available on the forum (I think it is currently around 215 entries). If you would like an up-to-date copy in excel format, feel free to private message me your email address and I will send it over.

do you still not have strappless shells?

True, I have not been including shells that lack their chinstraps.

eh i can send you a list of strapless shells later. i have a bunch but havent been keeping track lately...

eh i can send you a list of strapless shells later. i have a bunch but havent been keeping track lately...

Thank you, but that's ok, I am not really interested in including strapless shells.

Grant G.

I just looked at the 2 schlueter helmets that I have and here is the info on them... Heat stamp 119A - OD3 - Flat Brass Buckle - Fixed bail -Stainless Steel..... Heat stamp 353A - OD7 - Flat Steel Buckle - Swivel bail - Manganese Steel....

I would definitely like a copy of the up to date spreadsheet... That would be awesome.. I gotta also say that you have great facebook and ebay accounts. I have seen several of the helmets that you have posted for sale on ebay. I am going to send you a message through facebook with my email address. Thanks man.

Thanks again, Jon; I appreciate that. I am assuming your 353A is a front seam? I have updated the chart with your entries and have sent you a copy! ;)

Yes Grant both helmets are front seam. Sorry I forgot to add that info. I got the spreadsheet. I really appreciate man. Its awesome. Thanks again

Grant,

Any idea around what heat stamp would have started around January 1944 and what heat stamp would have started around January 1945? I saw that you mentioned 199A would precede December 1943... Just wondering if you had any other information on this?

Thanks

i believe that is going to be difficult to say as they didnt produce helmets for i believe a 2 month period although i cant remember specifically which months

Oh, I didn't they stopped making them for a couple months.. Yeah I guess if will be pretty difficult...

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Let me start by saying that I do not collect helmets and know very little about straps, buckles etc!

Picked up one a few weeks ago with heat stamp 166A over S. It is hard to read but with a light and magnifying glass, it is clearly seen. Swivel bail stainless rim and front seam. I'll let you guys decide what straps & buckles it has. Came with a post war Firestone liner marked w/62 over logo and what appears to be D39 below it.

I thought it odd that the helmet had a darker color to it as do the straps than what I have seen on others. Straps are canvas but look nylon in the pics. Paint on the close ups look lighter than in actuality.

post-5041-0-36949100-1479060648_thumb.jpg

post-5041-0-17331400-1479060662_thumb.jpg