Schlueter M-1 Heat Stamp range

38Driver

Here's a few pics of the helmet in question:

Just about bet the house that the Fixed Loops were replaced at some point with Swivel Loops. I have a couple of early McCords where that was clearly done when the helmet was refurbished.

Sure looks like 38A

Edited to add this image of the Swivel Loops on my rear seam Schlueter. No doubt with the helmet from production. Not sure if it tells us anything or not, but the visible dimples from the spot welding sure stand out.

post-68384-0-42807300-1418607403.jpg

plus schlueters generally have bails closer to the rim than that, and it still looks too wide to be a schlueter bail (schlueters are longer and skinnier for those who dont know)

post-125364-0-09060900-1418607622.jpg

Ok, I spent a little while looking through the forum's Schlueter manufactured helmets and I have compiled a revised chart. I became a little more exclusive with what gets put on the chart, so if any one would like me to add their helmets to the chart please make sure it meets the criteria (IE has original factory straps, clearly visible stamp, etc.) Notice the transition around the 340-350 range this is when manganese started replacing the stainless rim, but apparently it was not a perfect transition, in which some later helmets still have stainless rims. Then at the early 400 range is when the rim switched to the back. If anyone has fixed loops that meet the criteria please post the info.

post-11015-0-69240400-1418607868.png

post-11015-0-15801500-1418608534.png

Screamingeagles101

I have 3 schlueters. One of them is a fixed bail. I will check there heat stamps and other characteristics tomorrow.

This is a great idea !

Should be interesting to see if anyone has helmets that fall between the last fixed loop at 151A and the first swivel loop at 246A. That's a bit of a gap.

Should be interesting to see if anyone has helmets that fall between the last fixed loop at 151A and the first swivel loop at 246A. That's a bit of a gap.

I came across a few that fit into the gap, however they were lacking their chinstraps and I didn't want to add helmets that didn't fill in all the cells.

I came across a few that fit into the gap, however they were lacking their chinstraps and I didn't want to add helmets that didn't fill in all the cells.

im making a chart with ones missing straps

I have another document that Mike (sgtdorango) and I found independent of one another that indicate that Schlueter lot numbers up to S-199A pre-date December, 1943.

There is enough other info we can get fron the strapless helmets that mak them worth including I think.

There is enough other info we can get fron the strapless helmets that mak them worth including I think.

You guys can, I just didn't see the importance to include ones that are incomplete when there are so many others to choose from. So far my chart is up to 66 helmets. I'm noticing some crazy irregularities around the "transition stage", which may be the reason an author hasn't been successful at tackling a "Schlueter Chart" yet.

Current Findings:

• Lowest lot number: 28A
  • Highest lot number: 558A
  • Earliest Swivel Loop: 170A
  • Latest Fixed Loop: 211A5 (I know it sounds odd, but I saw it with my own eyes)
  • Earliest Rear Seam: 436A
  • Latest Front Seam: 437A (you would think those two would be flipped, but they're not)
  • If the straps are OD#7 a huge majority of the buckles are flat steel
  • OD#3 straps with flat brass buckle were on a very late 450A, closest other with that configuration was back at 270A
  • So far all suffixes are either "A" or "B"

You guys can, I just didn't see the importance to include ones that are incomplete when there are so many others to choose from. So far my chart is up to 66 helmets. I'm noticing some crazy irregularities around the "transition stage", which may be the reason an author hasn't been successful at tackling a "Schlueter Chart" yet.

Current Findings:

• Latest Fixed Loop: 211A5 (I know it sounds odd, but I saw it with my own eyes)
  • Latest Front Seam: 437A (you would think those two would be flipped, but they're not)
  • OD#3 straps with flat brass buckle were on a very late 450A, closest other with that configuration was back at 270A

i have a 88D and a 88B

Current Findings:

If the point is to develop some kind of timeline I think all helmets with legible heat stamps should be included. For instance you say that the latest front seam is 437A, although I have a front seam Schlueter with a clear visible heat stamp of 441A but not straps. I don't see why that kind of information should be excluded.

Here's a few I have, some of which are not listed so far, hope these can be of use to you guys -

Fixed Loop, stainless steel front seam rim, stamped brass chinstrap buckle, O.D.#3 chinstrap webbing - 116B

Fixed Loop, stainless steel front seam rim, stamped brass chinstrap buckle, O.D.#7 chinstrap webbing - 149A

Swivel Loop, stainless steel front seam rim, stamped steel chinstrap buckle, O.D.#7 chinstrap webbing - 48A

Swivel Loop, stainless steel front seam rim, stamped steel chinstrap buckle, O.D.#3 chinstrap webbing - 258A

Swivel Loop, stainless steel front seam rim, stamped steel chinstrap buckle, O.D.#3 chinstrap webbing - 278A

Swivel Loop, stainless steel front seam rim, stamped steel chinstrap buckle, O.D.#7 chinstrap webbing - 327A

Swivel Loop, stainless steel front seam rim, stamped steel chinstrap buckle, O.D.#7 chinstrap webbing - 371A

Swivel Loop, manganese rear seam rim, stamped steel chinstrap buckle, O.D.#7 chinstrap webbing - 507A

i have a 88D and a 88B

Jake, could you post photos of that 88D? I have yet to see one without an A or B ending.

Muddyboots, is the buckle factory attached flat steel, or was it later replaced with a T-1 buckle and hook?

Pump, are you sure that 48A is a factory original swivel loop? I'm asking because the earliest one I have come across is way out at 170A and yours is 48A. It might be refurbished with new loops or possibly a partially concealed lot number.

Thank you everyone for double checking and contributing to the chart!

My phone is not allowing me to attach pictures for some reason and I don't have a camera with me right now. But the hook is a heavier construction than the later Vietnam era helmets that I have. I should have my camera back this evening.

Here is the 48A. It does have a field exterior repaint, however there is still a light amount of original corking underneath. Interior looks factory O.D., but there may be an area next to one of the loops that looks like maybe where the fixed loop foot was in the past? See what you think here, I'm leaning towards added swivels -

post-98601-0-15954100-1418672248.jpg

post-98601-0-87131500-1418672264.jpg

post-98601-0-57179700-1418672291.jpg