Schlueter M-1 Heat Stamp range

38Driver

I understand that at the moment there isn't a heat stamp chart for Schlueter helmet production as there is for McCords.

I'm wondering if anyone has a rough idea of the range of numbers used? I only have two Schlueters, one with the heat stamp 30A and one I've had since I was a kid that is a rear seam swivel loop with the heat stamp 491A.

I figured the experts here might have some idea of the start and ending heat stamp numbers

i think there is a estimation but itd probably be as good as early or late (insert year) I have a front seam # 246A and have been told it is likely late 43 to early 44 but no one knows if thats right

I have 3 Fixed bail Schluter helmets - ill have to check the heat stamps. One of them was produced just before the transition to swivel bail and has OD7 chinstraps.

Rich

It shouldnt be too hard to figure out if someone has some time on their hands and the available documents....just going by the configuration dates and changeover dates from fixed to swivel and front seam to rear, should help get an idea of year and end of year or beginning like fixed bail then front seam swivel stainless rim, then front seam swivel manganese rim then last rear seam swivels bringing up the end era.....factor in Schlueters monthly estimated production numbers as a guess taken from the over all production number and figure they started out a little slow and mid war-end war they were pumping them out at full steam and came to a full stop in 1945...see not so hard but some math and keeping track of known originals should be easy!.. :rolleyes: ...mike

There must be plenty of folks here with Schlueters. What's the highest you have and what's the lowest? I suppose even better would be listing the heat stamp and a description, ie: 30A front seam fixed loop. We could probably get a pretty good idea of the breakdown.

Burning Hazard

Currently I own four Schlueters;

1) Fixed Bail, OD3 chinstraps, milled hooks, raised buckle with heat stamp 34A

2) Front Seam, Swivel Bail, OD3 chinstraps with heat stamp 352A

3) Front Seam, Swivel Bail, OD7 chinstraps with heat stamp 354A

4) Rear Seam, Swivel Bail, OD7 chinstraps with heat stamp 493A

Seems like the letter "A" is always stamped after the number regardless what year the shell was made.

Currently I own four Schlueters;

1) Fixed Bail, OD3 chinstraps, milled hooks, raised buckle with heat stamp 34A

2) Front Seam, Swivel Bail, OD3 chinstraps with heat stamp 352A

3) Front Seam, Swivel Bail, OD7 chinstraps with heat stamp 354A

4) Rear Seam, Swivel Bail, OD7 chinstraps with heat stamp 493A

Seems like the letter "A" is always stamped after the number regardless what year the shell was made.

wow you have a 352 and a 354? AND they have different chinstraps

OK that means so far

30A is the lowest we've posted

493A is highest.

Anyone got one below or above? Can we push the boundaries back even further? :)

For fun I decided to create a 'database' that I'll add to if folks continue to play along. Might be fun to see if any patterns emerge

post-68384-0-24307400-1418585940.jpg

sorry mines stainless rim and stainless swivel bail

are schlueters like mccord where they started with manganese swivel bail and they changed to stainless? mccord changed in 45 to stainless swivel bales

I just checked all my 3.

Mine are 2 x Fixed - OD3 chinstraps. Flat brass buckle. S stamp on both but No heat stamp.

1 x Fixed - OD7 chinstraps. Flat Brass buckle. Very faint S stamp and again No heat stamp.

If they are stamped then its very faint and possibly hidden by paint. On all my McCords the stamps are quite prominant.

All 3 helmets have their original finish and have not been repainted.

Rich

I just checked all my 3.

Mine are 2 x Fixed - OD3 chinstraps. Flat brass buckle. S stamp on both but No heat stamp.

1 x Fixed - OD7 chinstraps. Flat Brass buckle. Very faint S stamp and again No heat stamp.

If they are stamped then its very faint and possibly hidden by paint. On all my McCords the stamps are quite prominant.

All 3 helmets have their original finish and have not been repainted.

Rich

possible outside stamping?

Burning Hazard

wow you have a 352 and a 354? AND they have different chinstraps

Yea, I thought the change in colour occured between those but then another member posted his Schlueter shell with OD3 chinstraps and a higher heat stamp (I'll have to dig up that thread). Seems like they were still using up old stocks of webbing into the 1944-1945 period.

38Driver,

Might recall this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/189209-600-schlueter-fixed-bail/

The Schlueter sold in that auction was a FB, raised buckle, milled hooks and heat stamp of 57A.

Pat

Yea, I thought the change in colour occured between those but then another member posted his Schlueter shell with OD3 chinstraps and a higher heat stamp (I'll have to dig up that thread). Seems like they were still using up old stocks of webbing into the 1944-1945 period.

38Driver,

Might recall this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/189209-600-schlueter-fixed-bail/

The Schlueter sold in that auction was a FB, raised buckle, milled hooks and heat stamp of 57A.

Pat

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/218034-schlueter-helmet-chinstraps/

this might be helpful one of my old posts

38Driver and I had the same idea ;) . I hope you guys don't mind if I compiled a few of your specifics into a chart I have been working on. I also pulled a few from current ebay listings as well. As for the suffix always being "A", I did own a rear seam captain's helmet a while back which had the letter "B" following the number. I also noticed that a large majority of the Schlueter's I have owned over the years have been Navy helmets, has this been the same case with other members?

post-11015-0-31292800-1418589163.png

38Driver and I had the same idea ;) . I hope you guys don't mind if I compiled a few of your specifics into a chart I have been working on. I also pulled a few from current ebay listings as well. As for the suffix always being "A", I did own a rear seam captain's helmet a while back which had the letter "B" following the number. I also noticed that a large majority of the Schlueter's I have owned over the years have been Navy helmets, has this been the same case with other members?

Yours looks great! Let's keep it going. Clearly the high end has moved. Interesting to not the rim change in the 300 range

Here's mine.

1. Front Seam, Fixed Bail, Stainless Steel Rim, 88B, OD3, Flat Brass

2. Front Seam, Fixed Bail, Stainless Steel Rim, 151A, OD7*(not original bartacking, might of been added later), Flat Brass

3. Front Seam, Swivel Bail, Stainless Steel Rim, 38A*(might of been a fixed bail), OD7, Flat Steel

4. Front Seam, Swivel Bail, Manganese Rim, 350A, OD7, Flat Steel

5. Front Seam, Swivel Bail, Manganese Rim, 441A

6. Rear Seam, Swivel Bail, Manganese Rim, 54?A, OD7, Flat Brass

Here's mine.

1. Front Seam, Fixed Bail, Stainless Steel Rim, 88B, OD3, Flat Brass

2. Front Seam, Fixed Bail, Stainless Steel Rim, 151A, OD7*(not original bartacking, might of been added later), Flat Brass

3. Front Seam, Swivel Bail, Stainless Steel Rim, 38A*(might of been a fixed bail), OD7, Flat Steel

4. Front Seam, Swivel Bail, Manganese Rim, 350A, OD7, Flat Steel

5. Front Seam, Swivel Bail, Manganese Rim, 441A

6. Rear Seam, Swivel Bail, Manganese Rim, 54?A, OD7, Flat Brass

im guessing 38A was fixed bail

Or, there might be a hidden number in front of the "3". I will keep up with the chart if people are interested, please keep posting your helmets' specifics.

Interesting to note a Rear Seam with 436A and a Front Seam with 441A.

Manganese rims in the 360s on Front Seams and the switch to rear seam in the 400s somewhere.

Or, there might be a hidden number in front of the "3". I will keep up with the chart if people are interested, please keep posting your helmets' specifics.

Here's a few pics of the helmet in question:

post-104775-0-48851100-1418604867.jpg

post-104775-0-77784100-1418604878.jpg

post-104775-0-15745000-1418604889.jpg

post-104775-0-35748300-1418604901.jpg