Visit to Normandy

RedStateRanger

RedStateRanger

First time visit to Normandy area Sep 2014. Spent a week driving and walking around, from St Mer Eglise to Ouistreham, taking in the major sites. Still saw only a fraction of what is there. Interesting side trip to St Marie Dumont and the German Occupation museum there. Below are picts of the unique mural painted on the wall by German troops stationed there, a miniature cast-metal V-2 rocket...one of only 10 that were made by the Reich as momentoes for VIPs, and an original cyanide capsule and holder. The owner, Jackie, is always interested in acquiring items for his collection.The expansive Maisy Battery near Grand Camp is well worth seeing. Many facilities and artifacts still being unearthed. The last pict at American Cemetary in Normandy is gravesite of TSGT Frank Peregory, MOH recipient for action near Grand Camp. Normandy is still an amazing place!post-155290-0-36548900-1418443592.jpgpost-155290-0-64573000-1418443608.jpgpost-155290-0-65960200-1418443620.jpgpost-155290-0-70303800-1418443636.jpgpost-155290-0-07182200-1418443649.jpg

Very nice! Thanks for sharing! The photo of the grave is quite moving. So many true heroes that never got to see the world they were fighting to preserve. They laid down their own lives & we can still see what their victory achieved today. May he rest in peace.

I have one more year (Jan '16) to go until I earn my final week of annual vacation leave. 6 weeks off!! WooHoo! First on my list is a 2 week trip to France. My best friend from back in Seattle (he's now in Pittsburgh) is from France & he will be going as well. He travels back every year & he offered to show us around, let us stay at his place & use his vehicle free of charge. I can't wait...

RedStateRanger

You'll love it there. We spent two weeks...one week in Normandy and one week in Paris. Wish I'd spent both weeks in Normandy!

Really got jazzed by the visit and I'm now doing research for a book, and working on a depiction of Omaha Beach prior to Overlord.

Will be returning to Normandy first chance I get, for more picts, detailed research, and GPS point collection. (This time I'll be looking to do some house sitting while I'm there to defray costs. My eldest son has done that successfully, all over the world.)

Some of the best preserved beach defenses are at Port en Bessen, at WN62 east boundry of the cemetary, and at Longue Sur Mer Battery.

For some great local Calvados stop at Ferme de la Sapiniere near Saint Laurent, and for outstand food right on Omaha Beach try the Le Sapiniere restaurant near Wiederstandsnest 65. Same name but different families and both are terriffic! Have a great trip!

Regards,

Mark