BUAER U.S. Navy, Coverall, Summer, Flying

hirsca

A top-striking that Orange -5390-D. Very interesting item, do not remember already seeing another orange USN suit having the thigh clip. Just the USAF K-2B in their orange variant.

However, what I clearly remember is one Orange K-2B had years ago being in a much less vivid orange color, and this not 'cause it had faded (same hue in hidden areas).

Would seriously look like the color itself wasn't a true Orange. Rather, something of a light crimson wich had little resemblance with Indian Orange.

One more thing I knew (but cannot find any pics), the exact Mil-C-5390-D as 1958-dated could also come in a third color, the Olive Drab.

What instead I didn't knew, the very -D variant was made available also to the USAF as OG-107, in dark green color. At least for I could see on a faded label, early specimens really carried on label the same Mil-C-5390-D nomenclature and the very odd thing is that even so reading, waistband and wristlets were buttoned the same as the K-2B.

Thus, a Air Force suit carrying on the same label the Mil-C-5390 nomenclature and OG-107, but having some K-2B features. Strange indeed.

Hi,

As you found, 5390 coverall family from D to G exists in both Khaki and Indian Orange.

Only the last specification Mil-C-5390G (march 22 1964) was used to develop early Olive green coveralls. The first heavy caneva coverall with 5390G spé was available in september 1964 with a specific design. By 1965, the second model in heavy caneva was produced following MIL-C-81126A. The first OG Nomex coverall MIL-C-81126B was introducted in december 1965 (the Nomex cloth was introducted on july 8 1965 following MIL-C-81280A spécifications).

5390G spécification was or so used in 1962 to test the first Nomex cloth called HT1 not yet dyed and still in white color.

The last use of 5390G specification was in 1967 with a ERDL camo coverall in non Nomex coton.

In units you had some khaki D to G coveralls dyed in green to low visibility but is was only officially approved in 1962 by USMC for helos units in Vietnam, nethertheless you can found some later in carriers because only by 1967 crews received three sets of OG Nomex coveralls.

Best Croc

Thanks very much CROC. Thus that -5390-D label I saw on a OD suit was necessarily a re-dyed Khaki -5390-D (remember the date was 1958).

Would be interesting to find some more about that label (white background, black threading) having both the -5390 nomenclature plus, the OG 107. And, the whole sewn on a summer suit almost a hybrid of Navy -5390 (generic look) + USAF K-2B (buttoned waist and wrists).

Franco.

Hi,

Nice coverall, VP 702 was a USNR Patrol Squadron stationned in NAS Dallas from november 1956 to january 1968.

Orange flight coverall were the "basic" coverall used aboard carriers in early 60s especially during sea operations, pilots received Olive flight suits only when they start combat flights over Vietnam as you can see in this may 1965 CVW 16 document (USS Oriskany 1965 cruise)

post-1289-0-79034900-1418727905.jpg

In may 1965, the green flight suit mentioned is the first OG coverall made in heavy coton with MIL-C-5390G specification reference

Best

Croc

Hi,

Nice coverall, VP 702 was a USNR Patrol Squadron stationned in NAS Dallas from november 1956 to january 1968.

Orange flight coverall were the "basic" coverall used aboard carriers in early 60s especially during sea operations, pilots received Olive flight suits only when they start combat flights over Vietnam as you can see in this may 1965 CVW 16 document (USS Oriskany 1965 cruise)

attachicon.gifCVW 16 may 1965.jpg

In may 1965, the green flight suit mentioned is the first OG coverall made in heavy coton with MIL-C-5390G specification reference

Best

Croc

Hi Croc. Great information. Yes, the Navy Veteran from whom I acquired the coveralls was indeed stationed at NAS Dallas as a Aviation Machinist Mate Second Class. We refueled the Oriskany during our second deployment to Yankee Station (Gulf of Tonkin) in 1969. Thanks again, Al.

Hi Al,

I enclose you two UNREP views taken from USS Oriskany during her 69 WestPac cruise

attachicon.gif053.jpg

attachicon.gif235.jpg

Best Croc

Hi Croc. Nice photo's. Can't see the hull number on the Oiler, but it's not mine. Looks like one of the smaller oilers that we used to get replenished from so we could refuel the carrier groups quickly since we were classified as a "fast pumper." Since replenishment is done at 12 knots, usually on a fixed course, you don't want the enemy figuring out where you will be in an hour or so. As a matter of fact, some of the replenishments took as long as 4 hours, with course changes into the wind to launch or recover aircraft during refueling. Thanks, Al.

An hard work Al, studying carriers Deck Log Books, I was impressed by the high level of logistical flow needed, every 20 hours, they UNREP alternating with AE, AO. Most of carriers skippers took command of AO or AE firstly, if you are able to rendez vous several times a day and safely steam close to a carrier, you will be able to command at sea a big plateform !! Wich was you oiler Al ?

Hi Croc. I was an Engineering Officer on the USS Kawishiwi, AO-146. Although officers in the engineering department are not typically required to stand Officer of the Deck watches while at sea, I was trained and became qualified to stand watch as OOD (Fleet), which means in formation other ships, not just steaming independently. The good news is that during most replenishments, I was stationed at various engineering spaces and not on the bridge. But occasionally I was on the bridge as OOD. You are correct, most aircraft carrier skippers first had command of a deep draft ship before moving on to a carrier. Two of the three Captains that I served under followed that path. Anyway, we have morphed off topic and I don't want to boor everyone with oiler stories. It's funny, I have examples of the first and last in the 5390 series of flight coveralls. Thanks, Al.

• 3 months later...

Very interesting and useful information, Thanks. I was able to identify some of the suits that I had collected in the last few years. I thought I would share a couple that I found with the group. Any comments welcome, c7zx

First is a 5390-B that I thought the label was missing. I finally found it on the inside left chest area.

post-153088-0-48299400-1428551528.jpg

post-153088-0-21350700-1428551566.jpg

The second is a 5390-E that i assume was dyed green. If so it was very well done as the color is even.

post-153088-0-39386400-1428551671.jpg

post-153088-0-98110200-1428551698.jpg

5390B was issued from 1951, I guess. Kaki 5390D suits were green dyed at the beginning of the Vietnam war for giving some camo gear to ejected crews over ennemy area. A good find.

Some picture of these same suit "in action".

Franck

post-2712-0-85478000-1428611784.jpg post-2712-0-78843900-1428611882.jpg

Hi,

You or so have to know that in 1962, following a request from USMC helicopters units in Vietnam, BuWeps sent to SEA green dying kits to dye khaki flight suits in green as a transition before the delivery of USMC camo coveralls in 1964 (Takashimaya Co Ldt contract) for USMC crews and the first OD flight suits in 1964.

Best, Croc